Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I need springs as my passengers tire is rubbing when I corner to the left. Any suggestions on what springs to get? I have the 17" wheels, not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
If you have stock 17in wheels the one thing comes to mind is you have a 320 Sport which has a staggered set up.
The fronts are 7 1/2 J 17 H2 ET 37 rim with a 225/45 tire.
The rears are 8 1/2 J 17 H2 ET30 with a 245/40 tire
Is it possible you have mounted the right rear (passenger side) tire on the front right and the front on the rear. It seems odd that it rubs only in one direction of turn if it was a spring issue.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both fronts are 225/40 ZR17 and both rear are 245/40 ZR17. It's a 1999 SLK230. I'm not sure it came with these rims from the factory as the door plate only lists the 16 inch wheels. They are Mercedes wheels though. How would I tell what rims are where? Is there a model/part number stamped in them somewhere?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
Some where on the wheel itself you should see something molded in that says 17 x 7.5 J H2 ET 37 on the front and 17 x 8.5 J H2 ET30 on the rears if they are stock wheels from the SLK320 Sport. The front rims and rear rims are not interchangeable because the rears are wider to accommodate the wider tire. Is this something new after putting on new tires or is it something that just started happening. Does the left front tire look different than the right.
What I am thinking is a 225 tire will stretch on a 8.5 in rim and I am wondering if these are new tires and this just started did the guy mounting the tires grab the correct tire for the front but mount it on a rear 8.5in rim.
This will increase the "poke" or the amount the wheel and tire stick out in the fender and according to a calculator I just ran it would 20 mm more to the outside which is slightly more than 3/4 of an inch because the set back of the rears is 30 mm vs 37 for the front.
Best I got.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's entirely possible. I just noticed it after getting new tires. The fronts look the same, but I'm not sure if I would notice the change.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
Then I suggest you either take it back to the tire shop and ask them to pull the front right wheel and check the size of the rim. If it 17x8.5 ET 30 then your rear on that side is likely wrong too as it will be the front rim. You could do it yourself of course but if they screwed up then make them check the other side as well for correct fitment.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I suggest you either take it back to the tire shop and ask them to pull the front right wheel and check the size of the rim. If it 17x8.5 ET 30 then your rear on that side is likely wrong too as it will be the front rim. You could do it yourself of course but if they screwed up then make them check the other side as well for correct fitment.
Winner winner chicken dinner. Took it back to the shop and both fronts were mounting on the rear rims. They apologized profusely and fixed it without question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts