Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started asking about this in a thread on the OEM amp because that was when I found the issue. (Perhaps even thinking that the Amp, like a transformer, might utilized some form of enclosed liquid to help with heat dissipation . . . ) I've come to the conclusion that the oil has nothing to do with the foot well electronics, but I have no idea where it is coming from.

What is happening though is that the oil, once into the foot well, is settling down in the corner next to the transmission hump (hint?) and is soaking into the noise reduction padding. Since the wiring harness pushes up against the pad right at that spot, the oil wicks up the wire wrapping, making it appear to be coming from the electronics package.

Does anyone have any idea where this oil might be coming from? It does tend to deteriorate the foam padding a bit. In the one picture you can see a penetration which appears to be going to the transmission (?), and you can also see that most of the wires to and from the panel come in from the top, but loop up into the panel from below. (The panel, as seen in the second picture, is folded backwards, top toward the passenger's seat.) There is also a bundle of wires and two Vac hoses that run down the foot well and back under the carpet. There is also a piece of open conduit, which looks empty, coming down with the wire bundles as well.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused: A heck of a lot of wires and such for what I understand is the OEM amp (right, long black box) and the transmission controller (middle, smaller black box). I'll have to do some more looking to see what the connectors are for.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
since this is the diy section, and this is not a diy, i will move it to r170 general discussion

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
i understand but the diy is for established diys and if it is not in the diy section, it does not exist as of yet. a good candidate though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.