Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R171 350 '06

Hello. (note its an Australian delivery).

Replaced rotors and pads. All fine.

Front end wobbles when I brake.

When front left hits a pothole or bump when braking there is a slam sound.

I'm thinking the problem is front shocks?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
266 Posts
Hi, my guess should not be the shocks will cause that.
I´m thinking more about the balljoints or lower bushings.. Just a guess..

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Petri68 agree
probably not shocks. It's hard to do a check in my garage floor.

I'll put it up in the air local tire / suspension place.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
923 Posts
Wobbles thru steering wheel? Warped/faulty rotor?

Maya~Taptalk

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,230 Posts
That wobble--when you brake tells me warped rotor. Not serious, just irritating. That slam though--no idea.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was this "Wobble" same before rotor and pad change or only after change? If before, how long ago did it start?
Good question Bob. Yes they were so it's likely not a rotor and pad thing. In fact the rotors removed were not in too bad a condition. Pads are pads so they were due.

Wobble started intermittently about 6 months before and not very strong. Sometimes noticeable other times not at all.

I had an alignment done which helped for a while... until I hit a few mean potholes ( I'm pretty sure had I stopped to look into one I'd be able see to Times Square in NYC)! Sydney streets can be full of surprises.

Thx for putting some brain time on this.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
Chatted to Dave and lower arm bushes.

I also have that nagging thing.
Read the rear subframe failures.
Maybe front sub needs inspecting.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
266 Posts
So my guess in post #3 could be right?
I hope that you find the problem, because the car should be on the road. :cool:

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
656 Posts
Guessing isnt going to help (unless you are lucky, in which case do the lottery instead, and pay someone to fix the car with your winnings :))

Needs a good diagnosis.

Front end of SLK is conventional, so only basic fault finding needed.

Before lifting the car, check upper steering bearing for play, by turning lock to lock, and inspect the top of the shock for movement or roughness
Bounce the corner and check damping is OK.

Lift wheel into air.

Spin the wheel, check for any run-out on either side (damaged wheel), and is tire seated ok and in good condition.
Grab wheel and try and rock side to side, top to bottom, any play in bearings or steering joints.
Take wheel off, and check for any runout on the brake disk (use a DTI if available).
With wheel off inspect all joints in suspension, and check for loose bolts fittings including brake caliper.
Inspect spring for breakages. Check strut mounting at the top, and leakage at the seal.
Get a big long bar, and try and find any movement in the joints in the suspension, including drop links and ARB.

I am sure there are other better checks, but to me these are the minimum basic checks needed to make an initial assesment when there is a problem.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
72 Posts
Here in SA you could get this found by going for a Shock Test ref shock absorbers replacement. My local guy has a good rig to test shocks and during this he will find which ball joint or bush is a problem as well as the condition of your shocks. If you buy shocks, you pay for them and fitting. If you don't need shocks, you get your problem found without cost. I have used him on my SLK and Disco 3, cost nought on Disco but new Bilsteins on SLK..
Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts