Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I give up. I've looked at WIS, at the online ordering sites... I can't figure it out.

I'm looking for the four metal spring clips which attach the sides of the R171 headliner. See this picture for a good shot of where they go. They look very similar to these, although those aren't the exact part (just something I found by searching for "s clip").

They don't come with the headliner itself. I know because I found that out the hard (225 dollar!) way.

They're not listed on the online parts catalogs that I've seen. They're not for sale on eBay. There's no part number or identifier on them.

Does anyone have a part number for them? Can anyone give me an idea on where I can find them?

I'm desperate to finish my headliner repair, but without those clips I'm not done...

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
It's not 40 - they are the 5 round clips along the rear of the headliner.

The one's the OP needs are not shown in EPC ... will do some digging ...

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not 40 - they are the 5 round clips along the rear of the headliner.

The one's the OP needs are not shown in EPC ... will do some digging ...
That is correct. I couldn't find it in EPC/WIS.

I also posted a picture of something that looks *very* similar (see the second link.)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,502 Posts
I've seen those clips before in other places on the car, but darned if I can remember where.

I had trouble with your second link so here is an attached image.

Attachments

·
4,030 Posts
I think the clips are used on the fusebox cover on the passenger end of the dashboard ...., plus the covers on the rear deck where the seatbelt / rear speakers are, to name a few locations ...

They're in silver on the attached pics ..

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right style, but those look like they're a good bit bigger than the ones that are used on the headliner. On the other hand, they're cheap, so maybe I should order and take a chance. That's worked well for me so far... ;)

·
4,030 Posts
The clips you need don't actually do much - weight is taken by the 5 cirlular clips at the rear and the screws at the front

You could use some velcro in their place ....

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a used liner on ebay and use the clips that come with them. Every liner I find (do a search with SLK R171 dachhimmel) on ebay has these clips.
See Mercedes W171 R171 SLK Dachhimmel Klapp Dach Verkleidung Abdeckung A 1717900045 | eBay
A bit expensive, but at least you got what you want.
Makes me wonder though if the liner shouldn't have come WITH these clips. Did you buy a brand new or a used one?

1) Plenty of liners come with *some* of the clips. Like the used one I first bought from a German eBay parts vendor.

2) A new one doesn't come with the clips either. Like the new one I bought from Mercedes since I assumed new ones would come with the clips.

I am not buying a third one of these ****ng things. I can sort of justify buying the used one so that I have a piece to test painting... but I think that excuse falls apart if I buy a third. ;)

So yeah, I need to figure a way to get the clips or to attach the stuff.

The clips you need don't actually do much - weight is taken by the 5 cirlular clips at the rear and the screws at the front
I know, but without the clips the edges do sag a bit. The curved lip of the seals keep them in place, but it does bow down a bit in those areas. Probably not noticeable to someone who's not seen an SLK before, but if you have you can tell that it's not attached properly. (I also worry about long-term stress on the seals causing them to deform.)

I hadn't thought of velcro though. That's a good idea, and one that I may go with if I can't find the clips.

·
2,744 Posts
This is absurd. The least you could expect is that if you buy a new part you should be able attach it the way it should be attached. You shouldn't need to mess around with velcro and stuff like that. Presuming you bought it new from a dealer, what do they say? I mean, they need to replace a liner too, so they are facing the same problem. I would go back to them and say: "Look this ***ng thing is not complete, either you take it back or supply me with the clips!"
I understand your frustration, the fact that these clips are not in EPC would indicate that they come with the liner.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is absurd. The least you could expect is that if you buy a new part you should be able attach it the way it should be attached. You shouldn't need to mess around with velcro and stuff like that. Presuming you bought it new from a dealer, what do they say? I mean, they need to replace a liner too, so they are facing the same problem. I would go back to them and say: "Look this ***ng thing is not complete, either you take it back or supply me with the clips!"
I understand your frustration, the fact that these clips are not in EPC would indicate that they come with the liner.
If it's any consolation, I've stumped RBM of Alpharetta (the dealer that I order from via GenuineMercedesParts.com). They're super-helpful guys usually, but in this case... well... they're as puzzled as I am.

It may be velcro time... Cheaper than another part order...

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,501 Posts
If it's any consolation, I've stumped RBM of Alpharetta (the dealer that I order from via GenuineMercedesParts.com). They're super-helpful guys usually, but in this case... well... they're as puzzled as I am.

It may be velcro time... Cheaper than another part order...
If you have an auto salvage yard near you that has a good number of wrecked MB cars, then you may be able to find an SLK in which the roof was damaged. They may not be able to sell the headliner and the clips would be available for you to harvest.

Just gotta ask - what happen to your original clips?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have an auto salvage yard near you that has a good number of wrecked MB cars, then you may be able to find an SLK in which the roof was damaged. They may not be able to sell the headliner and the clips would be available for you to harvest.

Just gotta ask - what happen to your original clips?
No salvage yard near me with one, sadly.

And... uh... I lost them when I pulled my original headliner to see about dying it.

This was an expensive moment of stupidity.

·
2,744 Posts
No salvage yard near me with one, sadly.

And... uh... I lost them when I pulled my original headliner to see about dying it.

This was an expensive moment of stupidity.
Yeah, but imagine the same moment of stupidity from a mechanic at the dealer who removed the liner to fix something in the roof or whatever. There you have your over 100,000 euro car (at least where I live) with a liner fixed with velcro or a piece of tape or some piece of rope or whatever. And they tell you that the only way to have the liner properly fixed again is buy a new car....... No way! I immediately believe that they are super-helpfull and as puzzled as you. But if they don't know it they contact MB USA. Somebody there should know. And if at MB USA no-one has a clue they contact MB HQ in Stuttgart. I mean, come on, this can't be true! Eventually there must be someone who knows how to fix this. Why not drop the question yourself at MB HQ? They have a website with a contact form.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not drop the question yourself at MB HQ? They have a website with a contact form.
I very well may do that. It may be a while before I get the headliner back on anyways. I had a bad experience with Colorbond (pro tip: read the damn instructions re: humidity *before* you use it), so I'm going to try wrapping the headliner instead.

In the mean time, I think some self-adhesive velcro will actually be a perfect replacement, as it will do a great job attaching the tabs to one another (both have flat surfaces too, so it's easy to attach the velcro to the tabs.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.