Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my faithful 2007 SLK350 and got a 2012 SLK350, and so far I'm extremely pleased by it in almost every way -

Almost! I was so busy checking out the usual things and making sure everything worked, I guess I didn't notice that it didn't have automatic climate control on it. The ring knob controls look just like the ones on our M class, so it wasn't until I was driving it home that I couldn't find the "auto" button that I knew. Man, what a letdown. Why did they even put that in these cars? Its so fiddly and annoying to always have to change the fan speed, and the knob is on the other side of the shifter too... Really bad idea in an otherwise perfect car.

I saw a couple of posts about people who retrofitted the auto controls to their cars, and I definitely want to do that but it appears to be a super rare option because I have yet to find a single car with that option in any of the nationwide parts searches like car-part.com. Does anyone here have suggestion for where to get the items to do this conversion?

·
Founding Member 2006
106,666 Posts
Updated your profile 4 u
2012 SLK350

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
443 Posts
I've "just" done this for my 2010 SLK55. It's a "Gen 3" (or is it Gen 1/PostFL ? :). Since yours is next one beyond that, I can't help with part numbers unfortunately, but I can't imagine it's any more difficult to do than mine. Just different parts I guess..

Doing the change, without the parts deep inside the dash, was extremely easy. Took no time at all, everything is already prepared and ready, just plugin the new parts and it works. I'll be doing that difficult part this winter when I take the car apart for other things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts