Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the purpose of the individual parking light operation is for, on our cars?

If you turn your headlight switch to the left one notch, only the right parking light comes on.

If you turn the knob 1 more notch to the right, only the left side parking light comes on.

I am sure it is covered in my manual but I have never looked it up.

Any ideas?

SLKman:tu:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Depends on which side of the street you're parked. The lighted side should be towards the street and the non-lit side towards the curb. I believe it's a European thing, not commonly used in the US.

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what purpose?

Flat tire = flashers

parked, car running = parking lights

Maybe to be left "on", over night, on side of road, thus using less battery??:confused:

I got it!!!

1 click... Machine guns come out of hood!:rb :rb
2 click... Oil slick out back of trunk for tail gaters!:rb :rb

SLKman:tu:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I guess so others can be aware that there's a car parked ahead at night. I like your options better. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some countries this is a legal req if parked on the street.
Used to be in UK when I lived there as a kid.

Bazzle

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Having rescently taken my Germany driver's test...PHEW...the reason for the left and/or right parking light setting has been stated partially correct. It IS used for visibility for parking on streets and dependent on which side of the street (one-way street) you park on.

In addition, if you park within a certain distance of a light pole with particular markings, it is required by law to use the parking light because the pole marking indicates the street light shuts off at a particular time during the night.

It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to do even in the States if you want more visibility when parking at night. And no, it will not drain your battery with overnight use.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I suppose it would help the thieves locate which cars are worth enough to steal :)
Hmmm...probably more truth to that than you want to think about.:(

·
Founding Member
43 Posts
I use the single parking light here in the UK if I park on an unlit street (common here in the UK outside town).

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
hm...i always wondered how long could the light stay on for...anyone know?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unsure but on the R170 but I presume it will be until the battery runs flat as it's a manual turn of the switch with no electronics to bring it back to it's off position.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello folks. How are you all doing? I picked up a 99 SLK230 Sport for my wife this weekend and every time we turn off the car, the left parking light comes on after a few minutes? Sorry newbie SLK owner here.

Any feedback would be much appreciated as it is draining the battery.

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
Hello folks. How are you all doing? I picked up a 99 SLK230 Sport for my wife this weekend and every time we turn off the car, the left parking light comes on after a few minutes? Sorry newbie SLK owner here.

Thanks
FYI, This thread is 10 years old
you might want me to move it to a new thread on your issue

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,490 Posts

Thanks
There are several switch positions for the lights.

If we imagine a clock...

12 is off
1 is auto
2 is both side lights
3 is headlights

11 is either the left or right side only
10 is the other side only.

Are you sure that you are leaving it in the 12 or auto position?

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are several switch positions for the lights.

If we imagine a clock...

12 is off
1 is auto
2 is both side lights
3 is headlights

11 is either the left or right side only
10 is the other side only.

Are you sure that you are leaving it in the 12 or auto position?

Cheers.
Correct it is on the "12 is off" position. Both sides are off and a few minutes later the driver side only turns back on. Wierd, I had to disconnect the battery til I figure this out lol...

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,490 Posts
Correct it is on the "12 is off" position. Both sides are off and a few minutes later the driver side only turns back on. Wierd, I had to disconnect the battery til I figure this out lol...
Wonder if it's LED?

They sometimes do odd things but not heard of this.

The time delay is the oddest thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wonder if it's LED?

They sometimes do odd things but not heard of this.

The time delay is the oddest thing.
I have no idea if it is LEDs. I do know the previous owner spent $123 and got the light switch replaced. But that didn't fix the issue. That is all I know.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
874 Posts
Depends on which side of the street you're parked. The lighted side should be towards the street and the non-lit side towards the curb. I believe it's a European thing, not commonly used in the US.
Right on the money. So many roads in Europe in small towns are twisty and narrow with no street lights so you park where you can on the side of the road where there is enough room for someone to pass and turn on the parking light on the side by the road and pray someone sees it before they hit your car.
Used them for years when my job took me to Germany regularly because the nicer pubs are in the small towns.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts