Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is my 1st post, please know I'm not here to be "that guy".

I recently brought them my wife's 05 SLK350 for an oil change & tilt motor repair. On the way in the car started running rough. I assumed it would be a coil pack or something simple. After 3 days of diagnosis, Park Place called & said I had a burnt valve and the only fix was to replace the entire cylinder head for $6k+.
As I build & maintain high performance engines for boats I know my way around OBD2 and consider myself fairly competent when it comes to internal combustion engines, so I call B.S. on the burnt valve and started in on them to explain & detail their process to reach that diagnosis. To say it was unacceptable would be an understatement.
I let them play the game for a bit then explained what it was I did for a living. I then proceded to listen to every excuse in the book by the shop foreman, his technician & the adviser. I agreed to leave the car with them so they could redeem themselves. WRONG!
Anyway, I got the car back today, still missing out & after about 30 minutes in the driveway with my CHEAP OBD2 scanner, I had it down to a misfire on #3 hole. I moved coil packs and the problem stayed. I moved injectors & the problem stayed and then I moved spark plugs & the problem followed from 3 to 2 to 1.
Why not check the plugs 1st? I was CHARGED for a set of plugs. Much to my surprise they were not new plugs in her car. I was also charged for all new coil packs.
Needless to say, I'm going back tomorrow & we're going to have a come to Jesus meeting!
Stay away from Park Place Motorcars!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,521 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on your location and model and year.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’ and ‘location’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Is this the one in Downtown Dallas or the one in Plano? I actually used to live in Lewisville and took my '00 230 to the one in Plano, not sure if that one is a Park Place dealership or not, it's been over 10 years ago.

I am sorry to hear the BS that dealerships like to give people for some reason. Sometimes I don't know who is more prone to deceive the customer - the service department or the sales people.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Congratulations on your expertise and trouble shooting ability. Most consumers are not that competent, including some dealers and independents. A miss diagnosis is one thing, charging for parts and labor not replaced is FRAUD. Go get 'em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts