Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was the guy out by the side of the Zephyr having a smoke and a 1664. You were the blond who was entering the traffic circle in the black on black debadged R171.

Our eyes met, you smiled, and as I fumbled to grab my phone to take a picture, the light turned green and off you went.

What a wonderful night to be top down in Paris! Très bon!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UK-C200: if you don't mind me asking...what do you do for a living? you seem to be all over the map!
Don't mind at all - I work for a largish Fortune 500 company as the Network Operations Manager. We've got about 72k folks working in over 80 countries - roughly 800 fixed offices and operating locations on an single MPLS network, and about 1,800 mobile "remotes" connected back to the corporate network using various satellite technologies. Our research centers were part of the original commercial ARPANet interconnects, and in the early 90's, we operated the largest private TCP network; our ASN is in the double digits, so it's quite a legacy I got saddled with.

'Tis an entertaining job, and it does involve a lot of travel. We split the world into 5 areas - I sit with one of my teams in London, but have folks all over hells half acre. Since it's an Ops role, it's expected that I stay on top of what's going on in the field, so I try visit each area at least once a year, and naturally spend more time where I see potential challanges.

Paris is one of our corporate headquarter locations, and more importantly, where my boss sits, so I tend to pop over there pretty regularly. London to Paris is a two hour journey for me, so it's actually faster and easier for me to go there than to our offices in Cambridge or Oxford! :)

It's been a fun ride for the last 15 years, and I moved from New Orleans, LA to Lafayette, LA, to Denver, CO, to Austin, TX, to London to Paris and now I'm back in London. If the past holds true, I'll probably be moving to something new this time next year. :p

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If the past holds true, I'll probably be moving to something new this time next year. :p
Hey, can you get them to send you to Atlanta for at least a few days!!:Beer:

PS - hopefully when DJ & I are in town!!:tu:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Cool, John! I have been a part of SANS for a long time. I think I know what organization you are with.

I have since left the corporate world (mostly large International banks), and now run my own shop consulting out with 5 guys under me. I don't get to play with the big toys as much as I used to, but now I don't have to wear a suit and can work when and if I want. I got rid of all the stress.

Still there are times I really miss it, and I can say I evny you having such a system to look over.

It's refressing to see all of us "geeks" have not gone over to BMW!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, John! I have been a part of SANS for a long time. I think I know what organization you are with.

I have since left the corporate world (mostly large International banks), and now run my own shop consulting out with 5 guys under me. I don't get to play with the big toys as much as I used to, but now I don't have to wear a suit and can work when and if I want. I got rid of all the stress.

Still there are times I really miss it, and I can say I evny you having such a system to look over.

It's refressing to see all of us "geeks" have not gone over to BMW!

It's a fun job, started on a lark, and found that the company and I got along fine - was 5 years in before I realized it, and now it's over 15!

I intended to post this the other day when you were posting SANS alerts, but got distracted. I know Paller, Northcutt and Beale really well, and was lucky enough to have been involved in a couple of joint projects back in the early/mid 90's when I was actually technical for a living. I'm positive I still have a couple of shirts from earlier, but this is the one at hand - was wearing it today when I washed the car!

'tis a small world, we very well may have met at some point in time if you were there in the early days, or if you spent any time in Orlando at NCFS! :)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts