Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent many times in eBay and Aliexpress to find out a sunshade for the glass roof but I did not find anything suitable for SLK.
Many people use film instead of the sunshade, but there were many complained of peeling off.
I also don't like films because it made poor visibility (to the beautiful sky) at night :grin:. So, I decided to create my own sunshade.
First, I've ordered a sunshade which is larger than the glass roof (80x30 cm) then cut into the glass roof size.
Then, sewed the rim back to the edge of the cut piece. Finally, cut the wire and fit it back.
In my opinion, it works better than films and costs me just a few dollars and 2 hours.
Hope this helps someone driving in too much sunshine city :wink:.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you, a question is answered. My daily driver is a BMW with a glass roof which is very hot on my head on sunny days even with the curtain closed.
I have my SLK since this summer but I did not drive it on the hot summer days. But I was wondering if this glass roof in the SLK would be hot as there is no curtain to close.
So I had a black plastic ready to stick on the glass and wondered it that would do it. Never used it
I guess a carboard piece with some headliner glued on it would do it too I guess.
But I should prepare something obviously.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny remark about the BMW and the hot feeling on top of your head. I have the same that is why I would never order a glass roof again.
At work we use this black plastic to wrap pallets. It sticks well to glass.
I have some of that for the summertime for the SLK but did not use it yet.

I used to have a DeLorean and I replaced the headliner myself which is not hard at all.
So I was thinking to make a plastic shape with 2 suction cups to pu in there if the plastic would not work.
Disadvantage is I do not want to keep that in the car at all times.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I finally went to my local tint shop. Had a film installed that doesn't cut down the light, or stars, that much but since it is a ceramic film it cuts the heat by about 70-80%. We live in Florida, so I do understand hot...really.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts