Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we had one SoCal SLK enthusiast (Dan a.k.a. "ponia003") leave the West Coast to set up on the East Coast. However, another SLK enthusiast moved from East Coast to West Coast! That would be Jae a.k.a "DaytonaJae" a.k.a "9201Jae". :tu:

To give Jae a proper welcome to the SoCal area, we're doing a run up to Palomar Mountain in North-East San Diego county for Sunday August 30th.

The meeting point will be the North County Fair (CLICK!!) shopping mall in south Escondido (renamed a while back to Westfield North County Mall). We'll meet up at 8:30am, leaving around 9:00am to start the drive. Hopefully it won't be too hot this way.

This map shows the general area to meet at the North County Shopping Center. There's two gas stations (Chevron and Shell) across the street from the parking area. It's best to fill up the tanks before meeting in the parking area:

As mentioned we'll leave around 9:00am from the mall parking. The likely route will take us to Ramona, Old Julian Highway, Santa Ysabel and then looping around to Palomar Mountain. Optional stops:
- Santa Ysabel, if anyone wants to buy some famous Dudley's bread.
- Palomar, we can take a look at the telescope if people are interested.

Lunch will be at Mother's Kitchen up on the mountain itself.

Afterwards we'll crank down the other side of Palomar at which point people can leave, or continue on to Escondido for a few beers at the Stone Brewery.

Weather forecast calls for sun and mid 80s right now. Hopefully it won't get too much hotter than that.

Hope to see everyone there on the 30th!

·
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Rollcall:

1. Durkatlon
2. 9021Jae
3. nguyenphananh (+ friend?)
4. BlueDyna93
5. SCF (tentative)
6. etyu
7. PWSLK
8. le5lieb
9. mbpaul
10. aaaaaal
11. Sandtoes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Put me down as maybe.

We made a similar run a few weeks and included going to Alpine. We stopped at Alpine Brewery to get some of their micro-brew products (Duet is one of my favorite beers). I understand Alpine has a very nice restaurant in town but we did not stop there.

The road is fun with a few "straight aways" mixed in with the winding roads.

Hope I can get there.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
1. Durkatlon
2. 9021Jae
4. BlueDyna93
5. SCF (tentative)
6. etyu
7. pwslk (pretty sure I can make it)

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,453 Posts
I wish I could go! But it is my Mom's 81st birthday. Have fun guys watch out for the bicyclists see link below. Vegan menu looks interesting though.
Mothers Kitchen Palomar Summit

Welcome to SoCal DaytonaJae!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Welcome to Florida-without-(usually)-the-humidity Jae - See you Sunday!

1. Durkatlon
2. 9021Jae
4. BlueDyna93
5. SCF (tentative)
6. etyu
7. PWSLK
8. le5lieb
9. mbpaul

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Have a fun trip everyone!

·
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If all of you really show up Sunday, this will be one of the biggest events we've done recently. :tu: I am really looking forward to it! Perhaps not trying to plan these things a month in advance is the way to go. :D

First-timers, if you haven't already done so, please PM me a cell phone number and I will give you mine in case you are going to be a few minutes late or have to cancel last minute etc.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Does anyone use walkie talkies for runs like this? I was going to go get a set - something simple like in the $25 range. I think that with a group this large it would be beneficial to have the leader and the last person in the convoy be able to communicate?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I told Etyu and Durk 5 years ago during our initial meeting in Malibu that I was going to get my car out here one day to drive with them, looks like it's finally happening!

Forgive me, I'm a bit sentimental :crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aaaaal- (did I leave out any a's?!)
This will be my first event, too, so you're not alone!
Really looking forward to Sunday and keeping fingers crossed that this heat wave will break by then as the forecast says it will!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts