Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
115,443 Posts
hmmmmm.. :D Whatever makes him happy

Eyebrow Eyelash Ear Jaw Flash photography

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,246 Posts
We are proud owners of a blank piece of canvas and as great artists we make each ournown special work of art.
I go with osi and like the black cf vinyl.
Have fun and enjoy

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
17 Posts
If I was doing this, I would wrap it instead of paint. Long term at some point you might decide it’s not longer for me, which you then could remove the wrap and got back. Also if you sale it, this might not be for everyone. My consider also wrapping side mirrors black to blend better. Secondly I would also paint the wheels black to balance things out a bit. I think it would look better.

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,508 Posts
Plus one for wrap.

As for the job a lot depends if removing parts, seals etc and ensuring put back undamaged.
Even a pinch or nick in a seal can cause leaks.
Seals not cheap. Eg above door for a 161 is circa £100.

might want to check out threads on C pillars (the vertical glass panels either side of rear window) & 172 leaking roof to see what painter is in for.

·
*Registered
43 Posts
Hi YYDeckard,

FYI, I have done PPF to the whole body of my SLK but after 3wks or so it can be seen some corners especially rounded areas at the bumper peeling off. Luckily I was given a 4yrs warranty so will be sending back to the shop for replacement. So if your are gonna wrap the roof, please make sure you at least get a warranty in case encounter the same case as me.

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
188 Posts
Where i work we have a Nissan Navarra pickup which has a grey wrap over the original black paint.
It regularly goes via the narrow country lanes around where i work which involves a lot of ‘hedge skimming’ yet the wrap looks fine with no tears or peel plus the driver has five kids who regularly clamber in, out and over it.
Done well a wrap should last if maintained. I do wonder though how easy it is to get off especially after a couple of years or so.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250CDi
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well he is ploughing on with our "expert" painter guy so I will show the photos when its done - tbh he couldnt give a monkeys about making it harder to sell when he sells it as its never bothered him before by modding cars......he had his silver 911 sprayed Lambo green years ago :)

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,246 Posts
THat picture does remind me of a Chrysler Crossfire.

Another for the wrap.

Get it done by an experienced company. Preferably one that uses the ‘knifeless' techniques. Many stories about knife cuts in paint work after removing a vinyl wrap.

View attachment 621347
Mine is SSB
Black cf stripe on hood , accent in same above the three fins , windshield also

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,742 Posts
Is yours a solid top r like mine a lexan? I had a solid top that had the famous delamination failure and MB replaced it under warranty with a lightly tinted lexan top. I only say this because that would change the painting and paint considerably. I have since had the inside tinted although I was warned it was a bad idea because of the plastic outgassing would cause a failure of the film, that was 5 years ago..,I'm still a happy camper...

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC43 AMG
268 Posts
I had the roof of my old 171 resprayed after a slate fell off the house and landed on the car. They did a fantastic job removing the dent and respraying it, but it had to go back to Mercedes to get new rubber seals as there was a half inch gap that let air in. Once the seal was replaced it was fine. Just something to be aware of.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
76 Posts
Palladium is such a nice mid silver grey (the car pictures you showed are lighter than Palladium (they might be Iridium)). Each to their own but I would rather spend the money on having the paint corrected & ceramic coated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts