Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered peoples view on how long lasting painting calipers is before the painting deteriorates.......or should one go for the covers which I assume look good for far longer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had the ones on my TT painted red, kept the car for about 3.5 years and never saw any sign of deterioration. If prepped and painted properly I imagine it should last a long time, if you just put the paint on top of existing surface corrosion, not so much.

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
606 Posts
I first painted ours over three years ago and just re-did them all for the first time two weeks ago! I rubbed down the previous paint with wire wool and cleaned off with brake cleaner.

Whilst everything was off I also re-painted the hubs and used Dragons Breath wheel cleaner on all our wheels followed by a coat of Meguiars Ultimate Wax to protect them.

See my world famous thread here....>:D

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/228617-smarten-your-disc-brakes.html

Here's how they are looking again now, I also recommend painting your rusty hubs with Hammerite silver if you have spoked wheels.. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,915 Posts
If powdered or painted with a high-temperature paint, and if proper prep is done, it should last as long as the OEM paint. Covers don't look as good as having the actual calipers exposed in my opinion.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Forgot to say......

I also Hammerite silver the wheel bolts whilst off, nice finishing touch :wink:

Another option which I have used almost since alloys were invented was to fit plastic chrome effect or black caps over wheel nuts. They come in sets with a neat little removal tool. Maybe they also protect the nuts from surface rust.

Totally agree with silver Hammerite for hubs & I've used smooth Hammerite in varying colours for callipers. The finish lasted for anything up to 5 years/150K miles hard driving of company supplied cars as well as my own with the very occasional refresh.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Another option which I have used almost since alloys were invented was to fit plastic chrome effect or black caps over wheel nuts. They come in sets with a neat little removal tool. Maybe they also protect the nuts from surface rust.

Totally agree with silver Hammerite for hubs & I've used smooth Hammerite in varying colours for callipers. The finish lasted for anything up to 5 years/150K miles hard driving of company supplied cars as well as my own with the very occasional refresh.
Yeah, I used to use them on my TT, and just added them to the SLK, although no other car I have owned has had wheel nutd rust like my SLK has.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
976 Posts
Just wondered peoples view on how long lasting painting calipers is before the painting deteriorates.......or should one go for the covers which I assume look good for far longer.
NO to covers.... it is cheap, ugly, and not fitting an SLK roadster. Get a professional auto detailer to paint it in whatever color of your choice and it will look good, and last pretty long time. I paid $600 to have mine done and it looks as good today as it was done more than 1 year ago. If you are handy and can DIY, it will save you even more money.

But whatever you do, do NOT buy caliper covers...:|

·
Banned
974 Posts
NO to covers.... it is cheap, ugly, and not fitting an SLK roadster. Get a professional auto detailer to paint it in whatever color of your choice and it will look good, and last pretty long time. I paid $600 to have mine done and it looks as good today as it was done more than 1 year ago. If you are handy and can DIY, it will save you even more money.

But whatever you do, do NOT buy caliper covers...:|
Amen to that. In fact I'm on bended knee praying that NOBODY in the world ever ever ever buys calliper covers however classy or nasty their vehicle. Are my feelings quite clear on this?

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies - I do not know about covers being cheap, the ones I looked at were machined etc and when purchase price, shipping from the US, import costs etc they ran to a few hundred pounds.

However, got the message that painted calipers look fine so will go that route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts