Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
@blackknight: It my be the poor screen on my laptop but I'm struggling to see the vents in all their glory, have you got a higher res picture you can post please?

I must confess I've never heard of Hydro Dipping, I had to google the term and I'm only a smidgin wiser now. I'm always keen to see peoples mods and creative ideas, thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: bastivock

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow... thats absolutely stunning (guess I'm showing my age here). Thank you.
I've couple of questions if you don't mind indulging me:

1. Did you do the "Dipping" yourself?
2. Did you need to mask the rest of the vent off somehow in order to do just the "bars" ?
3. Is the finish durable, or do you need to apply a protective coat of lacquer or something after the dipping process ?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry don't know why picture is poor have aloof in my garage think it shows it a bit better,
I did the hydrographics my self in a plastic tube with warm water and the activator and silver carbon look film from
eBay.
Painted the vents black gloss first when dry you mask off just leaving the fins exposed and then dip when dry remove masking and clear coat lacquer the lot and refit

Reactions: bastivock

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
A picture of my Rear Shelf and Engine Cover hydro dipped in a Carbon Fiber pattern. I also dipped a few interior pieces as well. I still like it as it looks different but someday intend to have the pieces skinned with real carbon fiber the proper way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.