Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm waiting for delivery for a new car, I decided to look into what paint protection is available. There is everything from plastic "self healing" film, to Swissvax (GBP120 for a 200ml tub) to ceramic/glass coatings. People are even putting ceramic on film and vise versa:surprise:!

I have to say that I'm not convinced by all the sales pitch / marketing speak.

Like everybody, I've owned many cars over the years. The only car I really paid any real attention to (paint wise) was the SLK I had. It used to get a light waxing and was washed by me regularly and looked fine. All my other car's paintwork looked fine when I sold them on and they generally went through a carwash.

With a company like Mercedes, using modern paint technology, do we really need to go to these lengths to protect the car's paint? Or is a normal wash and light wax good enough?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
As I'm waiting for delivery for a new car, I decided to look into what paint protection is available. There is everything from plastic "self healing" film, to Swissvax (GBP120 for a 200ml tub) to ceramic/glass coatings. People are even putting ceramic on film and vise versa:surprise:!

I have to say that I'm not convinced by all the sales pitch / marketing speak.

Like everybody, I've owned many cars over the years. The only car I really paid any real attention to (paint wise) was the SLK I had. It used to get a light waxing and was washed by me regularly and looked fine. All my other car's paintwork looked fine when I sold them on and they generally went through a carwash.

With a company like Mercedes, using modern paint technology, do we really need to go to these lengths to protect the car's paint? Or is a normal wash and light wax good enough?
If you compared a few years old car that went through a car wash regular and the same car that did not you will see the difference in paint finish / shine / depth and quality .

Car washes so damage paintwork you wont believe .
All them fibre strands hitting the gloss paint will dull beyond let alone car damage .......

A good hand polish once a while is a good thing .

Highly recommended . :grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,466 Posts
Hand washed/wax/polish for 9 years.
No paint protection other than what came on car oem :D

Attachments

·
96,466 Posts
Fine! Here is sunny day! :D

Attachments

·
96,466 Posts
My downstairs butler did.
Back to thread :D

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you compared a few years old car that went through a car wash regular and the same car that did not you will see the difference in paint finish / shine / depth and quality .

Car washes so damage paintwork you wont believe .
All them fibre strands hitting the gloss paint will dull beyond let alone car damage .......

A good hand polish once a while is a good thing .

Highly recommended . :grin:
Agreed - I wouldn't put it through a car wash. My point is that a good hand wash and normal wax should do the job. I think it is the SwissVax brochure mentions that the car washes with the cloths (not brushes) are acceptable :surprise:!

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
619 Posts
Agreed - I wouldn't put it through a car wash. My point is that a good hand wash and normal wax should do the job. I think it is the SwissVax brochure mentions that the car washes with the cloths (not brushes) are acceptable :surprise:!
We have some Romanian guys who do an incredible carousel hand clean for £5. All done by hand with chamois etc, you travel around an old (large)garage workshop where up to 8 guys beaver away whilst you sit inside - our cars come out stunning afterwards. They even finish all the joints/nooks and crannies with a compressed air line!

I wax our SLK three times in a year with Meguiars, and would never use a conventional car wash either :wink:

·
96,466 Posts
Down to just once a day! :D

vacuum
wipe pigs ears
wipe front fender of any bugs, etc
vinyl/rubber protect daytime driving lights
clean lens daytime driving lights
clean chrome AMG badge on front and side fenders/rear
clean windows (I use 'donated' Safelite window cleaner and towels)
clean rims
detail wax whole car (takes less than 10 minutes)

·
96,466 Posts
Yes! Clearbra albums updated in my profile

·
96,466 Posts
Back to thread :D

·
96,466 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
9 years old, with regular use of Zaino "sealer" and an occasional Klasse wax.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.