Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who've done their own machine paint correction...how "hard" is the MB clearcoat?
I'm a new owner of an Alabaster White '07 SLK55 AMG that's in need of a good "buffing out". My normal process on previous vehicles (BMW Z4, NC Miata, Toyota RAV4) is Mequiar's 105 on an orange HexLogic pad, followed by 205 on a white HexLogic pad, and finishing up with Mequiar's Ultimate wax by hand. Every finish I've encountered so far has been different - Z4 relatively "soft", exercise care, low RPM's only, Miata "average", RAV4 "hard as a rock" LOTS of exercise with the 105 and orange pad. Any thoughts from the detailing experts?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
From all I have been able to gather, the clear coat MB applies is relatively hard. I use Menzerna polishes, which are targeted toward the harder MB clear coats, with a orbital polisher. I'm too chicken to use a high speed polisher.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ponia003.
I'll be using a Griot's DA with 5" back plate. It goes without saying that I'll be starting on a small section with the 205 and orange pad (and escalate from there if needed), but don't want to create more problems than I'm hoping to address by starting too aggressive. At least the clay barring shows that the finish had few "contaminants", so as soon as the weather warms we'll begin to make "Gretchen" sparkle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts