Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's A LOT of threads about this subject, and I'm guessing it is quite a wide one..

After last weekends spraying @binty with gravel (and feeling like crap over it), I thought I fix my own bonnet. I had at least one "big" one. So I got original paint from Mercedes (£17!) just to make absolutely sure it'll be the exact same colour. It's not white, it's "Calcite White" so..

But when doing that yesterday, I realised my bonnet is absolutely LITTERED with old stone shippings! They're absolutely everywhere. Luckily the paint I got was absolutely spot on, can't see it unless I put my nose right up to the paint.

I talked to a professional and he recommended a respray. It's "only" (?) £250-300 which I guess isn't TOO bad (I'm told a complete respray of the whole car can be several thousands), but if it can be fixed, satisfactory, then why not..

I was checking out YouTube, and found this video and it does look easy enough! Can get a dual-action car polisher for about £80. And then (wet) sanding paper (2-7000 grit), compounds, polish and what not on top of that..

Way cheaper than letting a professional doing it - would have preferred that, but apparently that's anything from £500 to thousands of pounds! That's for the whole car though, which could probably be needed. Found pittings on the front wings as well..

But those of you who have actually done this, how easy/difficult was it? The video made it looked easy enough, but everything's easy when you know how to do it :).

·
Administrator (UK)
34,986 Posts
@Dave2302 can best explain the pitfalls.
Don't forget that you will probably also need the MB lacquer match as well for an exact match of such large areas.

You can see why we have issues with cars wheel spinning on runs and in car parks.
Absolute pain to put right.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
204 Posts
There's A LOT of threads about this subject, and I'm guessing it is quite a wide one..

After last weekends spraying @binty with gravel (and feeling like crap over it), I thought I fix my own bonnet. I had at least one "big" one. So I got original paint from Mercedes (£17!) just to make absolutely sure it'll be the exact same colour. It's not white, it's "Calcite White" so..

But when doing that yesterday, I realised my bonnet is absolutely LITTERED with old stone shippings! They're absolutely everywhere. Luckily the paint I got was absolutely spot on, can't see it unless I put my nose right up to the paint.

I talked to a professional and he recommended a respray. It's "only" (?) £250-300 which I guess isn't TOO bad (I'm told a complete respray of the whole car can be several thousands), but if it can be fixed, satisfactory, then why not..

I was checking out YouTube, and found this video and it does look easy enough! Can get a dual-action car polisher for about £80. And then (wet) sanding paper (2-7000 grit), compounds, polish and what not on top of that..

Way cheaper than letting a professional doing it - would have preferred that, but apparently that's anything from £500 to thousands of pounds! That's for the whole car though, which could probably be needed. Found pittings on the front wings as well..

But those of you who have actually done this, how easy/difficult was it? The video made it looked easy enough, but everything's easy when you know how to do it :).

View attachment 599342 View attachment 599343
I would get it a respray done myself as you are far more likely to make it worse if you are not experienced in painting. Also looks like a lot of the stone chips are down to metal.

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
I would get it a respray done myself as you are far more likely to make it worse if you are not experienced in painting. Also looks like a lot of the stone chips are down to metal.
looking like the spots are severly corroded !
is that on all of the chips ?

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the beauty of trying to do it myself. If I only have to spend £100 (£150?) for everything I need then if I mess up, I still have the option for a respray. But IF (!) it works fixing it myself, I would have saved my self a bundle, because I can apply what I learn on the fenders etc as well. Saving me even more.

looking like the spots are severly corroded !
is that on all of the chips ?
No, that's the good part at least! Only a very limited few (the one you see there with my pinky as size compare) and two or three others much much smaller are down to bare metal and corroded.

The video I linked to do show how to fix that and it looked super-easy and I'm certain I can do that. I have some experience in metal prep.

My biggest worry is that I would have to sand the whole bonnet and then polish it up to shine again. THAT part I'm not sure I could stomach! Seeing the clear coat becoming all dull, it does fill me with some dread :). Looks simple enough, but...

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,173 Posts
Get Clearbra :D

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ceramic coating is pish compared to something like 3M Ventureshield or similar. Small stones/gravel/grit just bounce off.
Ok, yeah that makes sense..

I AM considering wrapping it in something more .. "exciting" than white, but that require a good paint job without holes, rust etc. Otherwise it'll just get progressively worse from there.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
204 Posts
That's the beauty of trying to do it myself. If I only have to spend £100 (£150?) for everything I need then if I mess up, I still have the option for a respray. But IF (!) it works fixing it myself, I would have saved my self a bundle, because I can apply what I learn on the fenders etc as well. Saving me even more.

No, that's the good part at least! Only a very limited few (the one you see there with my pinky as size compare) and two or three others much much smaller are down to bare metal and corroded.

The video I linked to do show how to fix that and it looked super-easy and I'm certain I can do that. I have some experience in metal prep.

My biggest worry is that I would have to sand the whole bonnet and then polish it up to shine again. THAT part I'm not sure I could stomach! Seeing the clear coat becoming all dull, it does fill me with some dread :). Looks simple enough, but...
Why don’t you take a look at this if you fancy having a go yourself

It looks too good to be true to be honest

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why don’t you take a look at this if you fancy having a go yourself
It looks too good to be true to be honest
Yeah, I saw that one and many others as well. And that's why I'm asking - is it really that easy!? It DOES look to good to be true..

·
106,173 Posts
Mr Banks do your Headlights need doing
or they to have clear Bra ?

Hello!
Headlights have clearbra
foglights have it
headlight washer covers have it
tow hook cover has it
bumper, grill, hood front have it
mirrors and fenders have it
See my clearbra albums for more pics
:D

·
106,173 Posts
Any issues removing especially with all that florida heat ?
the only pieces i had removed was to replace due to 'oldness'
not due to yellowing. oldness being impact from stuff that got embedded protecting the paint.
so some sections have had it on like 13 years and they were a little hard to get off.
i have only replaced, the front bumper/grill areas and the fenders

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
the only pieces i had removed was to replace due to 'oldness'
not due to yellowing. oldness being impact from stuff that got embedded protecting the paint.
so some sections have had it on like 13 years and they were a little hard to get off.
i have only replaced, the front bumper/grill areas and the fenders
yes id imagine all that time ……
Buff & polish after removal id guess .

·
106,173 Posts
paint was like brand new under there :D

·
* Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
5,846 Posts
Exactly that ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts