Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing brake pads on an SLK300, it is a requirement to replace the pad wear sensors? I'm wondering if they get destroyed along with the pads and require replacement or can be reused.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
If they are "activated" they need to be replaced - if not, you can re-use them. I seem to recall they are only $14 or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, if they have been triggered by wear, then they're no good. Mine aren't so I guess I'll just reuse them. They are pretty cheap though. thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I want to confirm. I have an R171. I am looking to replace the two front pads. As I understand it, there is one sensor for the front pads and one for the rear.

The sensor has not been triggered (I do not see anything on my dash). Do I need to replace the sensor? My guess is No

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
lastchild,

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I want to confirm. I have an R171. I am looking to replace the two front pads. As I understand it, there is one sensor for the front pads and one for the rear.

The sensor has not been triggered (I do not see anything on my dash). Do I need to replace the sensor? My guess is No
North American models may only have one (at the right front) and none in the rear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got around to replacing brake pads on the SLK Friday. I expected to find sensors on all four pads but was surprised to find only one installed - front left pad.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
there is only one front and one rear on my 350. I made the comment that its very cheap skate of MB for the sake of a few pounds. When mine gave me a brake warning the one without a sensor was dangerously close to the disc. Maybe as mentioned that American models only have one ?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Brake checks are part of every A and B service and those are supposed to be done every 10 - 12,000 miles. That's why it's so important that those services be done and done correctly. Whether you DIY or have it done professionally, they need to be done. In that case you probably don't need any wear sensors.

Len

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Brake checks are part of every A and B service and those are supposed to be done every 10 - 12,000 miles. That's why it's so important that those services be done and done correctly. Whether you DIY or have it done professionally, they need to be done. In that case you probably don't need any wear sensors.

Len
I still reckon my 68 Camaro had the best brake sensors ever :)

·
Banned
87 Posts
Well my Akebono pads came with a new sensor, but I didn't replace it.

The sensor is just grounded when it touches metal. That's is getting close to the edge, but then you'll get maximum wear out of your pads!

I see the Akebonos are referred to as ceramic, but I can't find any indication of that in their literature. I think they are semi-metallic, but in any case, they work well. Unfortunately, they don't quite have the stopping power of the MB pads, but then I don't travel the Autobahn at 150!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Len
We've been through 3 A/B services and the pads were never an issue so I wasn't surprised at 30K miles that half of the pad was still left. I replaced them because of the dust and squeel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts