Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of getting Brembo 08.7211.2X drilled rear discs for my 350 - any suggestions for which pads that would match best with these? Am not too fussed about dust and I live in a rural location, so my daily drive include a lot of steep downhills and twistys along the way, as well as I do the occasional spirited drive if the roads are free around here.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG/2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,164 Posts
Akebono if you don't like dust.

Reactions: dgslk and Avel Du

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, am looking at Brembo P 50 033X or EBC Yellowstuff as they seem the most suited towards the kind of daily drive I have - anyone have any experiences with these?

·
* Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, am looking at Brembo P 50 033X or EBC Yellowstuff as they seem the most suited towards the kind of daily drive I have - anyone have any experiences with these?
Avoid the EBC's. I took them off my BMW less than 1000 miles after putting them on and have heard bad things on here for the SLK too. Hawk is another good brand to check out.

Reactions: Squishband

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Avoid the EBC's. I took them off my BMW less than 1000 miles after putting them on and have heard bad things on here for the SLK too. Hawk is another good brand to check out.
Would that be EBC's Yellowstuff pads you had problems with? Curious to know what happened if the case as I'm leaning towards these from the many favourable reviews seen on other sites. All I could find so far from this site it is that it is the ceramic Redstuff pads that are not so great for pedal response or coping with the higher temperatures from prolonged or heavier brake use, yet haven't found anything on the Yellowstuff pads yet, which do sound really good. Also haven't found any review or experiences of the Brembo 08.7211.2X pads.

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
310 Posts
I had EBC Yellowstuff on a C63, took them off after a few hundred miles - not good pads.

I'd happily try the Akebono, but you can't seem to get them here in the UK??

·
Administrator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,679 Posts
I had EBC Yellowstuff on a C63, took them off after a few hundred miles - not good pads.

I'd happily try the Akebono, but you can't seem to get them here in the UK??
here?

or here?

Reactions: Thisisgavind

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
310 Posts
here?

or here?
Nope, unless they sell under a different brand name in the UK??

Thanks for the links though.

My Brembo's have finally stopped squeaking after 2000 miles+ of bedding in - should be good for a while longer (y)

·
Administrator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,679 Posts
Figured that because it was a UK domain with "akebono" but, you would know (y)

·
* Registered
1,164 Posts
Would that be EBC's Yellowstuff pads you had problems with? Curious to know what happened if the case as I'm leaning towards these from the many favourable reviews seen on other sites. All I could find so far from this site it is that it is the ceramic Redstuff pads that are not so great for pedal response or coping with the higher temperatures from prolonged or heavier brake use, yet haven't found anything on the Yellowstuff pads yet, which do sound really good. Also haven't found any review or experiences of the Brembo 08.7211.2X pads.
I think it was redstuff. The yellowstuff makes a lot of dust, which I was trying to get away from. I went Akebono and they are great. Akebono doesn't make pads for the 6 piston 55's unfortunately so I am trying the Hawk Yellow pads. I have them here, but won't have them on real soon I don't think. My stock pads are fine, but I want less dust on the front.

·
* Registered
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
Reactions: Odysseus

·
* Registered
1,164 Posts
Dust, squeaky, and took an absolute age to warm up before they gave any decent bite.

I binned them and went back to Brembo.
That was my issue with the Redstuff too, they took forever to warm up. I almost rear ended someone with them on leaving work. I know ceramics don't have as much initial bite, but the Akebono are very close to stock and no dust.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far it seems EBC Yellowstuff does have some inconveniences for daily use, and I'm not really looking for a ceramic solution as generally I would like to feel the brakes quickly, especially in having to deal with all the twists and turns of the many downhills here. Am now seriously considering the Brembo P 50 033X pads to go with the drilled rear discs, since according to Brembo these pads were specially made to go with them - so does anyone know if these pads really are a good match or have any experiences of them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts