Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! My car is a 98 SLK 230 and recently the ABS and ASR lights would come on and then the car would then not shift in gear. Sometimes it happens the first time I start the car, sometimes the second. Either way, it seemingly comes on at random. However, the lights came on last night but it also popped the check engine light as well. This is a first for me. What I would usually do is that when the ABS and ASR lights would come on I would simple pull over, take the keys out the ignition, wait a minute or so, and put the keys back in. Usually that turned off the lights and I'm able to shift gears and whatnot all happily. When I pulled over and checked the CEL it gave me this one single code: P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A. Now I'm no mechanic, but what could be causing this? I've looked through the forum but usually that code is tied with one where the mechanical top won't go down. I haven't tried it while the lights were on, but the top goes up and down fine! Unfortunately the summer is approaching rapidly and I'd rather not put the down and it not go back up because of this code, so I'll be using the AC much more until this problem is resolved.

To recap: CEL is on with a code for P0500. Symptoms: ABS and ASR lights coming on and the car won't shift gears.

Thank you so much for reading this post!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts