Mercedes SLK World banner

P0172 code

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SLKmacau 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

My SLK 200 Kompressor that i buy recently have a bit of a rough idle (rpm going a bit up and down) , and i can smell a bit of gas on the exhaust, so i decided to use my cheap OBD reader to see if have some codes.

It had the codes P0304, P0172 and P0204 stored, but no check engine light.
I cleared the codes, and run the car again, checked codes and P0172 show up again, but still no check engine light.
Can this be related to the injector of that cylinder? Spark plugs look new, engine runs fine but i feel it should have more power…. im used to a Tesla so maybe im just not used to ICE engines anymore hahaha

Hope it will not be anything expensive to repair, as i read so much in other posts, can be so many things…

#2 ·
Speedometer Tachometer Light Odometer Gauge

Well i guess I found out why the check engine light is not on with the P0172 code, someone disabled the light….

With the key in the 2nd position, the check engine should always be on right? It never turns on …
Is it a bulb that can be reinstalled?

#3 ·
Is it a bulb that can be reinstalled?
Almost sure (but not 100%) is is an SMD LED on the IC circuit board.
The fact that you have P0172 and no check engine light because only that is non-functional is a bit suspicious imho.
Don't want to make false aquisations but it could (emphasize could) be that the seller made it non-functional to hide this. But again, it is just a feeling I would have if something like that happened to me.

#6 ·
Yes that will be the first step, check the MAF. Definitely the light was blocked or something, someone messed with it for sure, a bit coincidence that the +/- and Reset buttons are not working as well …. Probably when they opened the cluster, didn’t reconnect the buttons correctly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.