Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

Thought I would update you on our trip to Minden, Germany this last weekend to meet up with Gero and the Gallier bunch for the OWL-Gallier Springfest 2007!

It was an enjoyable get together despite the language barrier. Plenty of folks spoke enough English to communicate. And Gero, Karin and many others were very hospitable to Stacey and I!!

About a half hour shy of Minden the CEL came on and the car went into "Limp Home" mode. We stopped at an Esso and I threw the OBDII reader on and found there was an issue with the #2 cylinder. After resetting the error, the car ran fine. We arrived to Gero's about 3:30 pm after an otherwise enjoyable 4 hour trip. Then Gero took me to the local MB dealer to see what the deal was with my CEL. Anyway, that’s another story that’s in AskDan.

There were only 9 of us for Friday night and we went to a Comedy Show at the hotel. Didn’t really understand a lot of it, but it was fun interacting with the other folks, and of course the beer was flowing…LOL.

Achim, Elle & Gero's wife Karin
Elle, Achim, Karin.JPG

Arnd with the Comedy Act
Arnd.JPG

Gero "making" a dental floss G-string with Achim QCing
Gero, Achim.JPG

My wife Stacey (the guy was a little quick for my camera in that lighting)
Stacey.JPG

Goran & Lillian (another "foreign" (Norway) couple) and Stacey
Stacey, Lillian, Goran.JPG

More to follow...

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Con't.

Gero peddling his wares to Lillian
Gero, Lillian, Stacey.JPG

Saturday we went to a sort of “Home” for teens who are in bad situations like parents that are drug addicts and abusive. Gero and the Gallier donated some money to them and offered to take the kids for a ride in our SLKs. They loved it, as did we!! There were 13 SLKs, both 170s and 171s. It was a lot fun with all of us running through villages and the countryside all in a row! I can just imagine what kind of a spectacle we were…LOL.

Here are a few pics of our drive with the kids.

Drive 1.JPG
Drive 2.JPG
Drive 3.JPG
Drive 5.JPG

more to follow...

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Con't.

The perfect "driving" shoes...lol
Perfect driving shoes.JPG

After dropping off the kids we headed back to an old renovated schoolhouse (1813, not really old considering Minden was founded in c.800 by Charlemagne.) that’s rented out for events for our evening of fun.

Gero had quite an evening planned with a sort of “school” for educating the crazys…LOL. Gero will have to elaborate on what he, Karin and Marion provided for the rest of the Gallier. It should also be noted that a family in the Gallier own a bakery and they provided a feast of baked goods as well as a couple of prepared pork delights! The food was great! And of course…there was more beer…LOL. There were even shots of schnapps and vodka to follow.

I only have this one picture...its from "art" class.
Art Class.JPG

Sunday we started with a very nice smorgasbord breakfast buffet at the hotel, with a nice stroll around the Walkplatz to get the digestion started. Then we headed out for our afternoon drive.

Pics of the Walkplatz outside our hotel room...very nice view
Walkplatz 1.JPG
Walkplatz 2.JPG
Walkplatz 3.JPG

More to follow...

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Con't.

On to the Sunday morning drive.

We had 16 SLKs in all. Instead of taking pictures, I decided to use the camera mount inspired by Tom (Tslick) to document the event in video.

We ended our 2 hour drive at a well-known roadside café that is a favorite stop for everything on wheels. I couldn’t even tell you how many motorcycles and ATVs there were, but I can tell you 16 SLKs looked AWESOME lining the roadside!! And you can bet we got the attention of every piece of leather in the place when we pulled up…LOL.

I couldn't find anyone with pictures and my camera died. :(

Stacey and I didn’t stay for coffee and cake as we needed to start our 4 hr. drive home. It was already 3 pm and I had to be at work in the morning. So 5 hours and 2 CELs later, we arrived home in one piece.

This was the first SLK meet we’ve been to and are looking forward to one in August called “The Event”. There are 116 SLKs registered (only 2 coppers…woohoo!). Should be fun!

It's always much more fun in person, but I hope you can get some enjoyment from this!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I wanna go back to Germany. Those little towns are so purdy and clean. Kevin, you an Gero shore is old pared to your womens. Cradle robbers..... me too...:biglaugh: Thanks for sharing what looks like a great time. Germany in tha fall anyone???????:biglaugh::tu::tu:

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
AWESOME!!! :rb

I am jealous!!!! I wanna go to Germany with my car!!!!:tazz:
Took German in school but only remember the bad words. LOL:butt:

Hope you have plenty SLKWorld cards to pass out at the next event!!! :biglaugh:

Hope your car problems are resolved "Cheaply"!

Well done!:Beer:

SLKman:tu:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Kevin, looked enjoyable. Thanks for the many pictures, video, and narratives. How are you doing with learning the German language? I assume "partying" is international.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Thanks for the photos and videos Kevin. It sure looks like a TON of fun and good memories.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
looks great. i bet that was a superb trip! all those slk's cruising musta been great!!

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your car is very stunning and unique!
Thanks! :tu:

I wanna go back to Germany. Those little towns are so purdy and clean. Kevin, you an Gero shore is old pared to your womens. Cradle robbers..... me too...:biglaugh: Thanks for sharing what looks like a great time. Germany in tha fall anyone???????:biglaugh::tu::tu:
If anyone is in the area, you're welcome to stop by...really!! Just give me a call . . . 0174-240-4921 (This is for local calling, this is for all others: 011-49-174-240-4921)

:tu:Kevin, looked enjoyable. Thanks for the many pictures, video, and narratives. How are you doing with learning the German language? I assume "partying" is international.
German is coming slowly, but after this meet, I'm more motivated so Gero doesn't have to do so much translating...lol

Peter, don't you fancy going there in August?
Are you talking about the 2007 "Event" in Sundern? I'm registered for that too. Should be fun!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! It was truely an enjoyable trip! :bannana:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Many thanks for your trip report Kevin.

Saturday we´ve been about 50 persons and it was really good fun the whole weekend. A double Razorback* for it - like Achim said.

What happened to my exclusive G-string that night? Can´t remember if anybody weared it.

Minden is more than 1200 years old with a Cathedral and a 1000 year old town hall. Minden belonged to the Hanse and has the spectactular water street cross of the river Weser and the Mittelland channel.

I hope that you´ll have the same or more fun at Sundern, where we Galliers are not welcome. If anybody wants to join us: You´re welcome!

* - Kevin brought a funny pig game to Minden, which we played late Friday night. I don´t and didn´t know the rules, the only I remember: A double Razorback is good and I lost! (I tried to cheat a little, but it didn´t work...)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Peter, don't you fancy going there in August?
I do indeed, but highly doubt i can take the time off work, as i have a fishing week booked in august also.:tu:
Maybe plan a year ahead. i ahve friends just back from the Nurburgring and they said Germany was unbelievable to drive in, so im booked to go with them next year for a few days to the ring.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
guys just a notice make sure your exhaust's sound under 100db, as I was just browsing the M6board and some member was asked to leave the Nurburgring track due to his exhaust system being 109db.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts