Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overhead console fire

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  LeonardoDaBenz 
#1 ·
So my overhead lights didn't work and the sos button was jacked. Figured I'd take a look.

Anyone know what size that fuse was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Haha. I just called those ignoramuses at "customer care". The guy gave me a lot of attitude and told me "an assistant to some assistant executive assistance assist will call you back." I asked him if I should post it on social media. Any hash tags you guys use to get the attention of our amicable corporate overlords?

#5 ·
Yeah. The error code said "FIRE".
Just kidding.
The "SOS Tele-**** is inactive" prompt came on.
Also. I'm not sure that's a fuze. I was just guessing based on its shape and location (could be a relay?) Can anyone do me a favour and get the same board out of their car and take a photo of that one little piece. I don't feel like sending mb 350$ for their own incompetence.

#7 ·
:O a systematic problem!
Can't tell what that component was but that was definitely not a fuse.

FYI there have been updates to the different versions of this control unit, if going for a used module you'd like to match your options and get a newer version.

In order to narrow this down it would be helpful to know what overhead relevant options you have.
Overhead relevant options:
Magic sky roof (412)
AC (580)
Auto AC (581)

#12 ·
Just had the same issue.

Hazard warning light malfunction was the warning.
Fuse 18 had blown, replacing it just blew again.
All buttons on lower console, airscarf etc were dead, eco stopped working and interior lights stopped working.
Diagnostic port was dead too...

MB repaired under warranty. Exact same board failure.

had noticed a funny smell in the car, so was going to change the pollen filter, smell was charred components.

Regards

Bob

#13 ·
Hi Bob!

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your vehicle (year?: 1996-2019) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members...pdate-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members as we welcomed you to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment or use the 'quote' button so we know who you are asking or replying to or referencing.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Founding Member/Super Moderator

#14 ·
Bob,

I've had exactly the same fault on my 2012 SLK 250 cdi. It was due a service and the week before it want in the fault "Hazard Warning Lights Malfunction" came on the dashboard. As it was going in I asked Mercedes to investigate, thinking a blown fuse. They did and charged me over £1000.00 to investigate and rectify the fault. They simply changed the whole centre unit.

I note that you managed to get yours done as a warranty issue and wondered if you wouldn't mind telling me which dealership it was and did they offer any resistance at all?

Many thanks

Peter

#15 ·
Just to add my SLK to the list with this problem. I have a 2012 SLK 200 petrol. First sign was the "Hazard Warning Lights Malfunction". I then noticed it wasn't just the hazard warning lights that didn't work it was all switches on that row. All the overhead buttons (lights, Magic sky) had stopped working. Fuse 18 was blown which I replaced and it blew again straight away. I contacted Mercedes who said they were sorry to hear about this problem but it wasn't subject to recall and not covered under warranty. Replacement part is £350 plus labour so roughly £500 I expect. I Contacted Dronsfield about a second hand replacement part, they quoted £120 plus delivery plus VAT. This seemed a lot of money for a used part that I wasn't 100% sure was the right part for my car and might have the same defect. Disappointed in Mercedes response to this issue.

#16 ·
Paul
Do you have a current MB Warranty Policy?
If so I suggest you go back to your Mercedes dealership re Warranty.
Items don’t need to be subject to recall to be covered by Warranty. I know Warranty cover has changed this year but check your Warranty Policy statement. Electrical items used to be fully covered for failure. Be polite but insistent and don’t hesitate to escalate to MB UK HQ in Milton Keynes If the Dealership won’t accept liability.
If you dont then I’m not surprised they won’t cover it, it’s eight years old after all!
Good Luck
TonyS

#18 ·
Had my control panel replaced by Mercedes, now £486 lighter of pocket. I have attached pictures including picture of the circuit board where it is scorched in one area. Another picture hopefully shows the part number for the damaged part. Last picture is serial numbers on a box for the replacement part. To confirm my car also had the Magic Sky switch.

Dronsfield did say they had a car coming and I could buy the control panel off that for £120 plus delivery plus VAT but I ended up going with Mercedes. Cost a lot more but I knew for certain it was the correct part, it was new, would come with warranty and they fitted it.

Paul

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.