Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 99 SLK Sport since new. I tore out the entire interior 4 years ago to fix the sticky dash switch issues (bad soda spill) AND primarily paint the entire interior plastics. As you all know MB really screwed us all with defective interior paint. Also the door panel glue fails often and and the door panels seperate and had to be completely reassembled. I wanted a true factory like "perfect finish" so I decided to strip it all off and start new. After removing everything, striping, (wow what a job!!) cleaning, using spray on "sand free" SEM coat and painting the plastics with SEM Color Coat (beautiful finish and durable great adherence to ABS) .....I had several tragedies strike.
That was in August of 2012. I could not put the car back together or drive the car. It has not been cranked for almost 4 years now. Obviously I will install a new battery but would love input from you experts on what I should change (fluids) or perform maintenance prior to attempting to start it up?
For example should I drain the gas tank or change the oil (it had pretty new mobile synthetic in it)? After doing any necessary prep work if it don't start I'll post questions. I hope to get the interior installed by next weekend and begin to try to get it running again. I'm really excited about driving this car again soon and appreciate any help.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,192 Posts
I've never done this, so I'd do some google research on "new engine startup". If it were mine, I'd at least change the oil, flush the brakes, and drain as much of the fuel as possible - get it out of the fuel lines and the tank. Use the right tools and have a fire extinguisher on hand. I'm not an oil expert so I can't comment on the effects of time on the rest of the fluids, but if they're due changing per the service schedule, go ahead and change them now.

It might be a good idea to squirt a few CC's of oil in through the spark plug holes, install new plugs, and then disconnect the coils and turn the engine over a few times to prime the oil galleys too.

I'm sure others will weigh in.

Good luck!

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
everything efair said

and a few more bits. Don't be tempted to try and turn the engine over until you've had the oil out, the filter off, the plugs out, the fuel filter off, and you've changed all those items for new. Assuming you have a supercharger, I'd be changing the oil on that as well.

buy some Plus Gas or other effective penetrant. spray it down into the spark plug wells and let it work for a good few hours before trying your hand with the plugs.

drain the oil, and I'd be tempted to say buy some flushing oil for your eventual first start up, and drain that pretty quickly once you've had it running up to temperature ( follow the instructions is always a good bit of advice)

when you have the flushing oil in, with the plugs out, remove the ignition fuse , disable the fuel pump, and try and hand crank the engine with a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt. You'll need to work out which way it turns. do that a good few times and it might just get a little bit of oil into the bits where it's needed.

I'd then do a very ginger crank on the battery with the plugs out. That will pump a bit more oil around.

then, gingerly put the new plugs in, re-enable ignition and fuel pump and cross your fingers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.