Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo...
Today I went to MB2 and had a great time, and I realized that go karting might be a great way to race and learn, without beating up my car.
I started talking with a friend and we were wondering why all these places are just indoors.

Then I did some research and found THIS:

http://www.lakc.org/
http://www.calspeedkarting.com/

The second link is a track in Fontana, which offers different programs, and even group go karting parties (2 and 3 hs variations). Prices are all over the place.

Would somebody be interested in doing a party? Or maybe going to a racing program? (more hands-on than the karting school).

More links would also be appreciated :burnout:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
No experience here but willing to learn and join. What's the difference between the indoor and outdoor karting, aside from the obvious? The karts are different: electric vs gas-powered. The gas powered can go from 0-60 fairly quickly in 4-5 seconds (like the full-sized vehicle), any worries on serious bodily injury if one crashes with the outdoor kart? Does one have to be suited up with fire-retardant cover-alls as in the photos?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used gas-powered go karts before, but indoors. I remember them being faster, but with that comes all the oily smells and having to use a whole body suit. As far as I know, it shouldn't be more unsafe than indoor electric go karting...?
The whole feeling of the machine is different, and I'm curious to see how it would feel outdoors as well...

·
Registered
659 Posts
You do realize the LAKC karts posted are "full on" racing karts? Those sprint karts do 50+ mph and I don't think you can rent them. My brother has one (shifter kart.. two speeds) and takes it out to Willow Springs every so often.
The other place is just gas powered typical go-karting.. doubt they're any faster than the electric karts.
If you're really serious, get serious and buy a sprint kart. Many of the Nascar/Indy racer's kids went through it.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Our Local Track advertises itself as "The longest fastest karting circuit in the world today!".

The last time I went, I did an 'Ironman'- 20mins practice followed by 40mins solo race. The twin engined karts would do well in excess of 70mph.

Apart from being knackered at the end of it, the drive home was interesting - my car felt like it had no brakes, steering or power.

It would be interesting to compare this track & prices to those in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do realize the LAKC karts posted are "full on" racing karts? Those sprint karts do 50+ mph and I don't think you can rent them. My brother has one (shifter kart.. two speeds) and takes it out to Willow Springs every so often.
The other place is just gas powered typical go-karting.. doubt they're any faster than the electric karts.
If you're really serious, get serious and buy a sprint kart. Many of the Nascar/Indy racer's kids went through it.
Thanks for the information.
I'm very new at go karting so I don't know much... other than I want to race! :biglaugh:
Buying a go kart could fit into my budget but the upkeep probably wouldn't, and towing it would be impossible (my SLK is my only driver).
I'm looking for places I can rent or go to an event and drive something better than the indoor ones... or maybe have a full day event.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the information.
I'm very new at go karting so I don't know much... other than I want to race! :biglaugh:
Buying a go kart could fit into my budget but the upkeep probably wouldn't, and towing it would be impossible (my SLK is my only driver).
I'm looking for places I can rent or go to an event and drive something better than the indoor ones... or maybe have a full day event.
Look up these guys. Start with the first step..

http://www.jimhallkartracing.com/

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks! Though a bit pricey for my taste...
Jim Hall is the most respected name in karting. If you really want to do it, and learn to be really good at it, you'll find the change. It is an addiction though.

The indoor kart places have "challenges" too where you can compete against other people. It will make you faster. practice practice practice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts