Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor backed his Tundra into my once-pristine SLK32. He was relieved when I said, "Oh well, it's just a car".

It was about as perfect a crunch as one could hope for: inches forward and he would hit the wheel and screwed up the front end; inches back and he would have take out the door. Instead, it only damaged the quarter panel. Hood OK, door OK, aside from the paint on the front edge getting scraped off (which nonetheless means the door needs to be painted).

Of course his insurance company sent me to a low-baller body shop, but I've opted to spend a bit more of the insurance company's money and I'm sending her to a shop that focuses on luxury cars and exotics, of which there are plenty in the county. New MB parts and highest quality paint. I'll also have them buff out a few clear coat scratches, have a few parking lot door dings knocked out of the passenger side, and touch up the occasional chip. Good as new in a week's time. Alas, I wont be around to drive it right away: I've got seven days of skiing in Colorado coming up. :Banane49:

Attachments

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Mark, pleased no one was hurt.

This is when a shotgun is handy. Everyone should keep one near their car at all times.
So you would shoot your neighbour (or anyone else come to that ) just because they bumped your car??? Scary.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,409 Posts
That's how we roll in Noo Yawk Woolly!

·
98,409 Posts
zackly! a ghost town! Draw, pardner!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident but glad it is being and will be sorted.

·
98,409 Posts
:hijacked:love the smell of new crayons! back to thread

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
My neighbor backed his Tundra into my once-pristine SLK32. He was relieved when I said, "Oh well, it's just a car".

It was about as perfect a crunch as one could hope for: inches forward and he would hit the wheel and screwed up the front end; inches back and he would have take out the door. Instead, it only damaged the quarter panel. Hood OK, door OK, aside from the paint on the front edge getting scraped off (which nonetheless means the door needs to be painted).

Of course his insurance company sent me to a low-baller body shop, but I've opted to spend a bit more of the insurance company's money and I'm sending her to a shop that focuses on luxury cars and exotics, of which there are plenty in the county. New MB parts and highest quality paint. I'll also have them buff out a few clear coat scratches, have a few parking lot door dings knocked out of the passenger side, and touch up the occasional chip. Good as new in a week's time. Alas, I wont be around to drive it right away: I've got seven days of skiing in Colorado coming up. :Banane49:
going back to CO (Crested Butte) end of Feb after skiing over xmas!! 20 inches in the last 48 hrs alone..cheers:Banane49::Banane49::Banane49:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You won't believe it but the same thing happened to me right after I bought my baby! She was less than a week old and I came to visit my friend. Can you imagine my disappointment when I saw this... The neighbor's excuse was the following: "Oh, I'm sorry I live here for around 15 years and there was never a car parked across our driveway and I simply didn't see it..." I was shocked with the answer and the thought - Do you look in rear view mirror only when you're in a different area and if something is not there meaning it can't appear there out of a sudden? :biglaugh:
Luckily her insurance took care of it. I chose the body shop specializing in Mercedes-Benz and in about a week I had a new fender!

·
Registered
350 Posts
You won't believe it but the same thing happened to me right after I bought my baby! She was less than a week old and I came to visit my friend. Can you imagine my disappointment when I saw this... The neighbor's excuse was the following: "Oh, I'm sorry I live here for around 15 years and there was never a car parked across our driveway and I simply didn't see it..." I was shocked with the answer and the thought - Do you look in rear view mirror only when you're in a different area and if something is not there meaning it can't appear there out of a sudden? :biglaugh:
Luckily her insurance took care of it. I chose the body shop specializing in Mercedes-Benz and in about a week I had a new fender!

and what if someone was walking past the driveway? no-one has walked past her house for fifteen years? should have poked her in the eye with a sharp stick!

·
Registered
570 Posts
They call it an accident and yes they do happen from time to time, but it is bothersome when people forget that vehicles are just as deadly as any gun and that we should always be diligent when behind the wheel. Thankfully it was not a person he backed into, but the way many of us care for our cars its still like hitting a member of the family!

Glad to hear it will work out and that your getting a quality shop to take care of the repairs :)

·
S L K Tech Enthusiast
602 Posts
If only every vehicle had a backup cam or parktronic, wouldn't be perfect but would probably cut down on a lot of these cases.

Glad no one was hurt and it was a "perfect hit."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.