Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in hearing from any SLC owners who have this option on their car.

Is this feature worthwhile? I am assuming it is the OEM equivalent of the Chinese made ghost light projectors that are widely available?

Also are there different logos depending on the model our was there a choice? I could imagine the SLC43 having an AMG logo but then there are the AMG line cars where maybe AMG or the MB logo could be relevant??

If you have this option could you please post some pics?

Thanks
Col

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I thought I’d seen this very image before a while ago. Wonder if it was a year specific or market specific offering? 🤔

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea Jules, you answered my question within 5 minutes on SLK & SLC Club. It’s taken several days to get a response on here. 😂👍

I’ve bought some used mirrors with these projectors in from a 2018 SLC being broken. I will post some pics when I get them fitted. 🙂👍🏻

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,712 Posts
Just to chip in some pictures on this subject, as My Puddle Lights have been switched off since I picked up My R172, due to a Anti-Social neighbour....... :(

Anyway, using the steering wheel buttons, Arrow Left/Right till You get to "Settings" - Then Arrow down to "Light" & then press "OK". Next Arrow down to "Surround Lighting". The "OK" button will then toggle "Surround Lighting" On & Off.

Does look smart when the car is un-locked at night: (Can see a reflection on the side of the car..!!)

Close up detail of the projected MB Star:

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my new mirrors arrived today. I had some time after dinner so I managed to fit one side before the light was starting to fail.

Really liking the all black mirrors which complement my black, grille, wheels, lip spoiler and diffuser.

If the weather is kind I’ll fit the other side tomorrow at some point.

Right side for ref

C3915304-EE3D-4E35-9EA6-9E7B07709117.jpeg

Left side with new mirror fitted

968B9B7F-B71D-4275-9F86-C7A3D25FC6D6.jpeg

Projection, much larger than I expected!

DAB16680-4FEA-4B83-81A8-C435F4B903BE.jpeg

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that looks good, how easy to fit Col ??
A bit fiddly to be honest Neil, hardest thing is getting the securing screws back in without dropping them inside the door. You’re working blind and it took me a few attempts to get some of screws back in.

Doing the full mirror swap is also easier if you remove the main door speaker, allowing you get your arm in to pull the wiring through and retrieve any dropped screws. The speakers are riveted to the door on build but as I’ve just fitted the HK ones I had used screws. You’d have to drill out the rivets. SmartTop comes in handy to raise and lower the windows to put them in the optimum position at various stages of fitting too.

It would also be possible to just swap the mirror bases assuming you have the interior lighting option 876. That would require disassembly of the mirror whilst still fitted to the car which is slightly easier so long as you don’t break the mirror glass taking it off. Main benefit is not having to remove the door cards and speakers etc.

If buying used or new mirrors to retrofit make sure they have the same factory options, mirrors package, interior lighting package and memory package.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
412 Posts
thanks Col, hard work but the results are worthwhile, they look great. I might add this to my list of things to do on the car which seems to get longer rather than shorter !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts