Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I tried it it worked fine from the remote. I held the unlock button down and the top started opening, if I let go it stopped, held it down again and it completed opening. Held down the lock button on the remote and the top closed.

Now no matter what I do, I cant get the top to open or close from the remote.

any suggestions?

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
you need a smartTop (which you can get at the SLKStore link above :) ) to make it so you dont have to hold the button on the remote to open/close if that is what you're after?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,326 Posts
if using the standard remote with ir power u have to be about 2 feet away (will vary) and aimed right at the sensor on the door handle. as mentioned, get a smarttop which uses rf and not ir and u can put it up or down from about 150 feet away.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I agree, get the SmartTop. In the interim, check your key fob batteries, and remember, the IR range is very short.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I realyl don't see the point of the IR.

The main reason being it isn't one touch.

It's more annoying to stand and aim than it is to do it from inside the car so why bother?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Why indeed.

Having recently specified it on a new purchase, I find it a serious waste of money, particularly since fitting a Smart Top all the normal roof controls have been superceeded. this is how the car should be in the first instance.

You could say the same about the useless cup holder. Who's going to store a can or cup above £2000 worth of Comand? More money wasted.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Noworiz - agree 100% on the SmartTop suggestions - it's absolutely the way the car should to be.

One thing to confirm is that the top works from inside as expected - I've been bitten a couple of times with the trunk partition not closed...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Noworiz - agree 100% on the SmartTop suggestions - it's absolutely the way the car should to be.

One thing to confirm is that the top works from inside as expected - I've been bitten a couple of times with the trunk partition not closed...
It beeps at you you if it's not latched in correcly or left open.

·
97,326 Posts
i don't believe john has installed his just yet

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
John,

do you have a smart top on your new car?
Yes - sitting on my desk next to a NTG2.5 COMAND.

It beeps at you you if it's not latched in correcly or left open.
I'm pretty sure mine's not beeping when you use the IR to try and drop the top from the outside. It's sure not obvious to me.

i don't believe john has installed his just yet
Correct, I've been using every sunny day to run around.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I realyl don't see the point of the IR.

The main reason being it isn't one touch.

It's more annoying to stand and aim than it is to do it from inside the car so why bother?
:confused:Probably wasn't a bad option prior to the original Piecha and SmartTop modules. Advanced technology has spoiled us!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, yes works fine from the inside. I have been bitten as well by the trunk cover not being fully latched. I had a smart-top ( roof commander ) on my old SLK230 and loved it. I will get one for this car for sure, just a little cash strapped at the moment and was hoping the IR would sufice for a month or two until I break down and get a smart top.

Weighing what to do first.

Navigation - Sirius - SmartTop - or Windschott . . .

I guess I could have worse problems huh :)

Thank again for everyones input. . . .

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
For me, it's a no-brainer - SmartTop was in my hands before the car was delivered. I've just been very lazy about fitting it, and my wife is still complaining about it. I'm spoiled when I'm stateside with lots of space and a shop to work in - here I'm stuck out in the open... Ah well, just need to pull the stick out and do it! :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
John

It's very quiet when I'm outside the car with the top up but loud enough when you're inside. It's accompanied by a message on the central display saying "Close Boot Seperator".

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
John

It's very quiet when I'm outside the car with the top up but loud enough when you're inside. It's accompanied by a message on the central display saying "Close Boot Seperator".

Sounds about right - maybe mines just not as obvious as yours.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine's not beeping when you use the IR to try and drop the top from the outside. It's sure not obvious to me.

I've just checked, mine beeps if you try to open/close using the IR if the seperator isn't closed.

You can hear it just from the outside.

The beep seems to be coming from the area of the instruments/display.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Offer stands. Anyone wanting their SmartTop installed, I'll do it for you. You just have to get the car to my driveway... :biglaugh:

·
97,326 Posts
if your keyfob opens the roof before smarttop, then u get to use the same keyfob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.