Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our 2001 230 (WDB1704492F199242) for fluid changes to the best local shop on the island. Engine oil looked OK, radiator was low (turned out the expansion tank was cracked and leaking) and the auto transmission at 93,000 km looks like it had never been opened.

The shop removed the transmission pan, cleaned it, replaced the filter and o-ring sensor widget, and poured in the correct spec fluid. But the shop did not have a MB dipstick tool. Called the MB parts supplier in town who said fill it with 6 litres. Done.

Driving home, there was the smell of transmission fluid cooking on the exhaust pipe. Looks like 6 litres was too much and the autobox was overfilled. Parked it and ordered a dipstick tool from Hong Kong. Waiting for the package to arrive; a bit frustrated as the autumn weather is still glorious but soon the rains will begin (we are in the southern hemisphere - winter is in July)

Questions:

1) Does anyone know what the effect is of driving with overfilled tranny fluid? Does it hurt anything?
2) Out of curiousity, if the pan is dropped and emptied and the filter replaced, how much should go back in? Obviously not six litres.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I don't know what will happen if it's over filled, but I do know it's not a good thing.
You can make your own dip stick. Check YouTube or do a search here.
The guy who did your trans should have measured how much came out and put the same amount back if. Hind sight. You can suck out the extra with a pump you can get on eBay for about $20.00 or one that attaches to a drill.
Or any other way you can think of. I would not remove the pan again or drain it.
Just suck it out.
My 2 cents

Ps. I spent a lot of time in NZ, and loved every minute of it.

Reactions: ichris93

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
Why they took on the job without the correct tool !!??

They should of ordered the tool first then called you that they can now go ahead and book the car in .

So they ordered the fluids, rubber ring seal , filter etc but not the crucial dip stick :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why they took on the job without the correct tool !!??

They should of ordered the tool first then called you that they can now go ahead and book the car in .

So they ordered the fluids, rubber ring seal , filter etc but not the crucial dip stick :surprise::surprise:
No, I got all the supplies in the city before bringing the car over on the ferry, and the parts supplier said to measure out 6 litres and it should be OK. Turns out that was bad advice.

Living on an island in the South Pacific brings challenges with it that folks in America and the UK may not appreciate. I've ordered the tool and will probably give it to the mechanic, since it will be 40,000 km before I need it again... but he probably will not use it very often since SLK's are not very common hereabouts.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
No, I got all the supplies in the city before bringing the car over on the ferry, and the parts supplier said to measure out 6 litres and it should be OK. Turns out that was bad advice.

Living on an island in the South Pacific brings challenges with it that folks in America and the UK may not appreciate. I've ordered the tool and will probably give it to the mechanic, since it will be 40,000 km before I need it again... but he probably will not use it very often since SLK's are not very common hereabouts.
But a good mechanic should know it has to be measured etc
And not guess work on the correct amount .
And it needs to be done at the correct temp .
To much wont do the gearbox much good and to less you will have gear change problems .

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Questions:

1) Does anyone know what the effect is of driving with overfilled tranny fluid? Does it hurt anything?
2) Out of curiousity, if the pan is dropped and emptied and the filter replaced, how much should go back in? Obviously not six litres.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

I found this on the Crossfire Workshop Manual

EFFECTS OF INCORRECT FLUID LEVEL
A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be
low and develop slower than normal. If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates
the fluid and causing the same conditions occurring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid
overheating, oxidation and varnish buildup which interferes with valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes
fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be
mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful.

Presuming this is correct, we are waiting for the Dipstick tool so we can check and adjust before driving the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so for clarity I'm no mechanic so all I'm repeating is what happened to us, it may well be wholly wrong but either way worth a read.

A few years ago the wife had and 06 A180 Avantgarde. Much loved, bought at 12 months old and srviced at MB until the Warranty ran out. 6 months later we got a Fluids service done at a local Garage, we'd used them before so thought nothing of it. A few days later the Gearbox started to Whine, hardly noticable at first and in fairness I dismissed it as the Wife hearing things. After a few weeks we took it to MB as it was getting worse. They checked it and found the Gearbox, a 7 speed Auto had been overfilled. Almost twice what should have been in there! The dealer told us that overfilling can be worse than under filling and the only cure would be a new Box....

As the box from MB was circa £4k+ we opted for a re-con.

Cut a long story short! Recon didn't work, sent it back, another one fitted that didn't work, car then sent to MB. Box turned out to be from a stolen car. Police informed and decided not to impound car but advised us to send the car back to the Garage and get another put in. The Garage then put in the Original box after allegedly refurbing our box! Still doesn't work, car back to MB, Garage goes bust and clears off. New box plus repairs now more than car was worth so it sat on the drive till I sold it as scrap for £2k......

Morral of the story! Don't overfill the Gearbox and if you do Don't drive it......

As I said, I don't have the expertise to verify all the technicalities but either way we got screwed for about £8k ?

Best of luck dude ??

·
Registered
267 Posts
When i blew the SC on my 230 i went for a complete engine/box/SC change. New fluids all round & my mechanic also overfilled it.
What happened was the car would drive, but only in 1-2 gear & had no guts. Level re-checked & some removed, now car drives fine. Luckily it only did a few hundred yards in this state so no lasting damage.
Now 5k miles further & all going fine ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.