Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my SLK last month and when supplied with the datacard by the kind chaps on here, noticed it had been debadged by MB when new. I never even noticed or realised when I bought the car.
It's just that I love having a dig at one of my wifes friends who bought a base model BMW and had it debaged. Knowing the woman, I constantly extracted the urine about her trying to make out her car was someting it was not as she is pretty shallow.
Now the wife is taking great satisfaction in pointing out how shallow I must be as my SLK is debadged. So it's a straight choice - the wife or the car has to go. Shame really as she's a great cook.:grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,884 Posts
Get your badges back and stick em on!
but posers are someone that want to be what they are not. if you had AMG on your 320 that would be posing. you just have a debadged car

·
Banned
433 Posts
hmm, there's a bit of posing perhaps if someone debadges a base model and hopes it is perceived as a higher model

generally I think many cars look cool without them, although I always leave mine on

·
Registered
61 Posts
I began removing badges with a new '58 Impala and I have done so every since.
Of course in the 50's - 70's it required repainting and was called nosing and decking.

·
Banned
974 Posts
We the buyers are the suckers in manufacturers little game.
Produce a series of cars with different trim levels & engine capacities & badge them accordingly.
The public are a gullible lot & hate being up-staged by neighbours & friends, the manufacturers know this & laugh at our expense. Heaven & earth & bank accounts will be emptied to ensure the base model is not ordered because of embarrassment of advertising to the world your poverty level. Just to underline how you cannot afford the better model it will be badged accordingly 1.8 for instance. The showroom will only have superior specified models, the basic models hidden away.
Scatter freely around the bodywork letters & words such as GL, Ghia, AMG, V8 & going back in history De-Luxe, Super etc etc thus selling is a doddle. No car has ever had BASIC or BUDGET writ large on their backsides.
In the UK Ford sold a dreadful little car that had the word POPULAR in the form of a transfer ( think plastic model kits ) stuck on its boot lid (hood lid), worse were plastic chrome-effect letters on the front wing that proclaimed 1.1 !!!! Then Ford went up-market & produced the POPULAR PLUS ,I kid you not.
Take the badges off otherwise the car maker wins.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to have a Ford Fiesta Popular with a 997cc engine. Always wished it was a Popular Plus, because that had headrests (sheer luxury!). I loved it anyway.

As you can tell from that, I'm not one to judge someone by the trim level of their car. I have to say that my initial instinct is that if it's de-chromed then it's a base model. But hey, if it makes them happy then who cares?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts