Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AND MABEL
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04.30 am! :surprise:

Dark o'clock in the morning here! :surprise:

The reason I'm up so early ...................

flying over to Belfast for the weekend and the Ulster GP. :smile:

Wooooooo Hooooooo! >:D>:D>:D

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,817 Posts
Have a great time!

·
AND MABEL
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Home last night after a great weekend. Weather stayed dry, apart from 5 mins of very light drizzle which delayed the start of one race but came to nothing. Like the Isle of Man TT races, these races are ran on public roads. When you consider the telegraph poles, stone gate pillars, barbed wire adorned fence posts, etc. are only protected by a straw bale or two as they are flashed past at insane speed, it brings home how awesome this form of racing is! Billed as "the fastest road race in the world" it certainly lived up to that, with Peter Hickman hitting 199.8 mph through the speed trap in the superbike race and Ian Hutchinson setting a new lap record of over 134mph. :surprise:

I also sampled the night life in "Fibber Magee's" in Belfast city centre, and would thoroughly recommend paying them a visit too! Great craic! >:D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Been a fan of road racing for many years; ever since my brother and his friends took me on the pilgrimage that is the Isle of Man TT race in the 80's :grin:

Closer to the Edge (fly on the wall documentary of the TT 2010/2011) is a must watch, in my opinion, for the sheer excitement that road racing brings. But even that does not really provide the thrill of seeing a motorbike, flat-out on public roads (not smooth racing circuit tracks), with the riders head just millimetres away from some very unyielding roadside ornaments >:D

·
Super Moderator
24,232 Posts
Home last night after a great weekend. Weather stayed dry, apart from 5 mins of very light drizzle which delayed the start of one race but came to nothing. Like the Isle of Man TT races, these races are ran on public roads. When you consider the telegraph poles, stone gate pillars, barbed wire adorned fence posts, etc. are only protected by a straw bale or two as they are flashed past at insane speed, it brings home how awesome this form of racing is! Billed as "the fastest road race in the world" it certainly lived up to that, with Peter Hickman hitting 199.8 mph through the speed trap in the superbike race and Ian Hutchinson setting a new lap record of over 134mph. :surprise:
That what makes all the road races special. We think we can understand what they are doing because we can ride those roads ourselves.
I've done the IOM TT circuit many, many times and not always at TT time.

I've nothing but total admiration and respect for anyone who takes part, including marshals and organisers.

Glad you had a blast.

·
AND MABEL
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hutchy what a Hero considering he's come back from the horrific leg injury that guys got a big set not only competing but winning too he was awesome at the tt.

Glad you had a fab time Davie
Took a bus tour round the track, Hutchy was our guide! :tu: A really nice guy. Quitely spoken and very self-effacing. Gave a great insight into what gears, speed, etc., he was doing at every part. Quote" You're doing 160 coming into this left hander and the suspension bottoms out hard in the dip, you can overtake on the inside but you need to be feeling brave as the front tyre squirms under the extra load of the tighter line" :surprise: .
Did well on race day. Man's amazing! :hail:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts