Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps
I'm looking for a AMG 350 SLK, I'm looking to spend around 13-14k on it, is there anything I should be looking out for that could be sinister or signs of trouble up ahead?
What should I reasonably expect to get for that sought of money millage/spec wise?
Thanks in advance for any replies, I'm Chris btw :)

Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"

Premium Member 2018 SLC43
Welcome from North Hampshire - The R172/350 is a great car, if You don't want the expense of a R172/55.... (y)

The down side, is the later R172/350's (2014-2015), are quite rare, especially if Your want the important extras, like "Air-Scarf" which is a must for the UK.

The other nice option is Bi-Zeon head lights, if You drive away from the city street lights - But a HID kit can be fitted to overcome the standard poor H7 halogen head lights...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Trev, I'm way down the road In sunny Essex!
The optional extras are very important as it's nice to get as much bang for your buck as possible.
That's true about them being harder to find, there's only a handful on Auto Trader atm. There seems to be loads of the 2.2-2.0 litre AMGs but after coming out a Mk1TT im after a bit more power (although thr older i get the slower i drive!)
I'm not adverse to buying the R172/55 either, what's your thoughts on those?
It's a weekend car so fuel economy isn't an issue for me thankfullly

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Welcome from Wirral, England.
If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum this may help.

Our forum rules:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
The web site of slk-links

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is where to find meets/events.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.
Check out the tsbs. Lot's of fixes for MB recognised issues there.

Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Super Moderator Northern California US 06 SLK 280
Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern California

List of Useful SLK Links

The web site of slk-links

FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

Welcome to the forum

Where search is your friend

And the answers never end

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Welcome from Canada 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the welcomes guys :) I've updated my profile as instructed 馃憤
Owners forums are a wonderful place when owning a particular car and I'm very pleased to join this one ;)
I was/am a member on a TT Forum which helped me out loads and I got to chip in with advice for new owners so I'm very pleased to find a similarly good place for the new car.

I'm on the hunt as we speak so I should be a proud owner over the next few weeks, I'm still unsure on which version of the AMG SLK to plump for so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Chris

Thanks for all the welcomes guys :) I've updated my profile as instructed 馃憤
Owners forums are a wonderful place when owning a particular car and I'm very pleased to join this one ;)
I was/am a member on a TT Forum which helped me out loads and I got to chip in with advice for new owners so I'm very pleased to find a similarly good place for the new car.

I'm on the hunt as we speak so I should be a proud owner over the next few weeks, I'm still unsure on which version of the AMG SLK to plump for so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Chris
Remember just because it says amg...it is not...only slk32 n slk 55 are amgs...hand built engine
anything else says amg, it just has a body kit or amg wheels, etc

Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
Ah ok mate that's useful info, so all the 32s and 35s are AMGs but the lower powered ones just have AMG bodykits/styling?
Loosening the requirements a little bit to include more recent cars that don't have hand-built engines, the rule could be restated as "any car with a 2-digit designation (32, 55, etc) is an AMG whereas 3 digit designations (350, 280 etc) are not". That holds true for all the Mercedes brand, not just SLKs.

Registered 2005 SLK350
Hi Papa, was your Mk1 TT a standard 225, because if it was remapped and you want more power, i wouldnt even consider anything lower powered than a 350 as it will feel less powerful by far, my mk1 was pushing 270 brake and im not sure my 350 would keep with it, a properly remapped mk1 TT is very quick

Ah ok mate that's useful info, so all the 32s and 35s are AMGs but the lower powered ones just have AMG bodykits/styling?

As Durk added...yes 2 digit is a true AMG but...exception is 43....factory production..not hand made engine

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
@Papa 1975
I'm guessing that you did not read the message that I sent?

Other than 32 and 55, an AMG model can vary from simply copying of body kit & wheels
to improved brakes, suspension and such.

If a full AMG

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Papa, was your Mk1 TT a standard 225, because if it was remapped and you want more power, i wouldnt even consider anything lower powered than a 350 as it will feel less powerful by far, my mk1 was pushing 270 brake and im not sure my 350 would keep with it, a properly remapped mk1 TT is very quick
  1. Hi Corradoman, it is a remapped 225bhp version, it's the roadster though so I think due to weight it isn't as quick as the coupe and I fear she's lost a few horses over the years, but that's good advice about the comparative with the 350.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
So 32 and 55 are full AMG with Hand Built engines as apposed to the 280-350 which can have AMG styling or wheels but there not full AMGs, but the later models of the 32 and 55s are AMGs too but not with hand built engines? Thanks again for all this info mate 馃憤

So 32 and 55 are full AMG with Hand Built engines as apposed to the 280-350 which can have AMG styling or wheels but there not full AMGs, but the later models of the 32 and 55s are AMGs too but not with hand built engines? Thanks again for all this info mate 馃憤
all r170 2001-2004 slk 32s are amg and hand built
r171 slk 55 2004-2011 are amg and hand built
r172 slk 55 2012-2015 are amg and handbuilt

1 - 20 of 35 Posts