Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone in and around the Manchester UK area (I live in Tameside) can help me. I want to make contact with someone who has equipment to scan a pre-2000 SLK 230 Kompressor (38 pin type found under the bonnet). I want to buy some equipment to do the same and seen so many types online, that I am totally confused as well as being a novice. I’m really looking for a hand held unit sub £60 or software to run on a PC. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,669 Posts
Yes my Star system has the multiplexer for the 38 pin header so it should be OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated. Is the Star system expensive only I was looking for something that I can see working and within my budget (sub £60)? I don’t have any issues at the moment, just wanted to look around the system to familiarise myself with what’s what.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,439 Posts
Thank you for the offer, it is appreciated. Is the Star system expensive only I was looking for something that I can see working and within my budget (sub £60)? I don’t have any issues at the moment, just wanted to look around the system to familiarise myself with what’s what.
It ain't cheap
check ebay

Mercedes Star Diagnosis: Automotive Tools & Supplies | eBay

you might just want to get a mbii scanner or something similar

iCarsoft MB II for Mercedes-Benz / Sprinter / Smart_Benz Scan Tools

·
98,439 Posts
don't confuse a scanner with a code reader
There is a difference
If both, that is good :D

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
For a 171 or 172, Carly Pro for Mercedes does nearly everthing with in-depth reports. Unfortunately it does not handle R170s. So far the best thing I've found is Torque Pro for Android but dongles require 16 pin OBD connector. For 38 pin connector I do not know what is needed.

·
98,439 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi trebor
i am trying to do the same and have been asking here for weeks. Its very confusing and nobody can give a straight answer. If you do find the right scanner please let me know, I will do the same for you of course.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
I hope someone in and around the Manchester UK area (I live in Tameside) can help me. I want to make contact with someone who has equipment to scan a pre-2000 SLK 230 Kompressor (38 pin type found under the bonnet). I want to buy some equipment to do the same and seen so many types online, that I am totally confused as well as being a novice. I’m really looking for a hand held unit sub £60 or software to run on a PC. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Carly pro is no good for your req ! and does not do much any way to basic .
I car soft although is quite good again no good as does not come with 38pin connector unless its available seperatley but may not support your car ?

Star is the way to go but Expensive
£60.00 will prob buy you rubbish

Autel one again it req the lead with 38 pin
And you may have to up your £60.00 the more you pay the better .

Make sure it supports the 170 with 38 pin not odbII port as such .

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,669 Posts
Am still looking for the One True Answer for my OBD cars but if I had one with a 38 pin connector, I'd buy the $9 adapter cable & connect a BT dongle and see what happens.. The OBD-II standard took effect in the US in 1996.
I bought one of those adaptors when I had my first 170. The problem is that it only picks up one of the several busses that are routed to the 38 pin connector. Iirc I could only pick up basic info and I never managed to reset any codes with other Carly or torque pro. ( why I ended up buying a star system )

I'm into electronics and I spent a considerable time looking in to wiring different busses in the 38 way in an attempt to reproduce the multiplex function of the MB box. Life was too short!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.