Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to learn about on board diagnostics (ODBII), as my 320 is the first car I have with this feature. I have loads of questions and was wondering if anyone can provide some links to a general introduction. I have searched this site (and others) and found quite a few threads specific to certain codes but not general stuff, such as: I have seen OBDII readers ranging in price from $50 to $400 - what do I need for DIY? I know different pins are used in the plug for different regions - is this the region the car is sold in, or the region the car is manufactured in (can I buy a US code reader and use it in cars in Australia)? Are all codes common - ie is a defective oxygen sensor the same code for all makes of vehicles?

I don't expect anyone to answer all my questions as I have loads more than this, but some pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tony.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Hi
I have a 98 SLK230 Kompressor earlier model and differnt engine from yours, but
I have purchased two different OBD devices from ebay and downloaded the MB codes from this site and other sites of the internet I could PM them to you.
The devices i purchased were first a gereric OBD code reader only to find i did not have the correct plug for my model Round 18 pin located inder bonnet near battery, but i did buy an adaptor cable to make it fit, works well but limmited useability. At same time i purchased a different device specifically with software to read the MB vehicles needed an older computor (laptop) with windows 98 to install the software which i luckily had allready. Some minor issues with learning how to understand the program and use it but gives a printout of the codes saves the file etc. Very good to use but i have only performed basic functions with it.

Look under left side/ centre of steering colum for a small cover of rectangulat shaped receptical to determin what type of plug you need (later versions than mine will all have a standard plug/receptical) whether it be; MB Nisan, Holden/Chevy, Ford, BMW, etc. If you are interested i can look up the names of the devices i purchased and advise you!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.