Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK 230 R170
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up to the time of year that I will lay the car up for about 4 Months. :frown:

Are there any Pros/Cons to fitting a battery isolator, to stop it running down, as the Electronics System on a R170 Slk seems fragile from all I have read.

They are on Ebay at about £6.00.

Thoughts please ??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Coming up to the time of year that I will lay the car up for about 4 Months. :frown:

Are there any Pros/Cons to fitting a battery isolator, to stop it running down, as the Electronics System on a R170 Slk seems fragile from all I have read.

They are on Ebay at about £6.00.

Thoughts please ??
Do you plan to use the battery isolator often? The thing is that simply lifting off the positive battery connector is free, and give the same functionality. As for "using it often", that means that your clock need to be reset, your radio will forget it's codes and the like. This is something that may be tolerated once a year, but perhaps not every week or day.

I have one of these: ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Motorcycle-Cut-off-Kill-Switch-Battery-Terminal-Disconnect-Isolator-L/162744458601?epid=924972624&hash=item25e4535d69:g:Yt8AAOSwuzRXcjwN ). I also have a 5A fuse that overrides it. This means that if I use the isolator, everything needing current to memories work, but no one can start the motor or even turn on the ignition (that will blow the fuse).

But really, just remove the connector if you think that the car and battery need to be isolated.

Also, keep in mind that any standard car battery, left to itself will discharge and deteriorate if left for four months. Charging overnight at least every four weeks is good for the battery. If you are super careful, you may remove the battery and put it in a convenient place for charging it (like, at home).

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,720 Posts
Have a read of the threads about using a battery tender (if that's practical for you).

Connecting/Disconnecting the battery gives the system a kick in the pants.
Occasionally, this causes some glitches with various electronics.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Just pulled the codes on a Merc and as usual there were no warning lights but a whole slew (over 30) codes mostly for "Low Voltage" from a battery change. This will happen each time you pull the battery (why I use a clamp on ammeter to check quiescent battery draw).

I use float chargers and most of my batteries are AGMs. Am into the seventh year on at least one. Used to have to change a battery once a year.

ps Sam's Club has a sale on Duracell AGMs during the holiday season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.