Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a rant!
Having experienced a few today, here is a list of (some) of my pet hates. I'm sure others can add a few more.
1. Parked drivers who throw open their door with no concern for approaching traffic.
2. Drivers at light controlled junctions who decide to turn across the traffic AFTER the lights have changed.
3. Pedestrians wandering across traffic lanes 5 yards from a light controlled crossing.
4. Groups of cyclists who insist on riding 4 abreast in narrow traffic lanes.
5. Drivers in the fast lane at 61mph overtaking the slow lane travelling at 60mph where the limit is 70mph.
6. Sitting at green traffic lights stationary, texting, so that you miss the lights.
7. Drivers so busy chatting or pointing out interesting things to their passengers that they are unaware of the traffic situation.
8. Main beams that only get dipped when within 5 yards of oncoming traffic.
9. Main beams that NEVER get dipped!
10. Speeding despite poor road conditions, in fog, snow, heavy rain etc.

It goes without saying - I do none of these! 0:)

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,857 Posts
People who don't get into the turn lane where it starts but wait until almost past it causing following drivers to miss the green light.

Consumer Reports National Research Center did a survey back in March to find out what perturbs American’s the most. The closer the number to 10, the bigger the pet peeve among those researched. Oh, by the way, the study indicates that women have less patience than men when it comes to drivers who don’t follow the rules.
1. Texting on a cell phone while driving: 8.9 out of 10
2. Able-bodied drivers parking in handicapped spaces: 8.7
3. Tailgaters: 8.4
4. Drivers who cut you off: 8.3
5. Speeding and swerving in and out of traffic: 8.2
6. Taking up two parking spaces: 7.7
7. Talking on a cell phone while driving: 7.6
8. Not letting you merge into a lane: 7.6
9. Not dimming high beams when approaching: 7.6
10. Not using turn signals: 7.5
11. Slow drivers dawdling in the passing lane: 7.3
12. Jaywalkers stepping in front of your car: 7.3
13. Excessive horn honking: 7.1
14. Slowing down to “rubberneck” at accidents: 7.0
15. Not turning on headlights when it’s raining or at dusk: 6.8
16. Drivers who are indecisive about when to turn: 6.6
17. Slow drivers on a two-lane road who won’t pull over: 6.5
18. Not going when the light turns green: 6.1
19. Bicyclists who don’t let you by: 5.8
20. Cranking up the radio volume: 5.7

·
AND MABEL
13,806 Posts
Yep, all of the aforementioned items are annoying, and I would add the following ........

1/ Drivers who fail to use the deceleration lane (left or right) at junctions and slow, then brake, before turning ninety degrees out of the main flow.
2/ Drivers who fail to use the acceleration lane when pulling out of a junction and stop, waiting for a half mile gap in the traffic, before pulling out onto the main road.
3/ Drivers who cannot keep a constant speed and let their speed drop 5 - 10mph before speeding back up as you go to overtake.
4/ Drivers who don't understand what "passing place" means.
5/ Drivers who pull into the yellow box even though their exit is blocked.
6/ Drivers who edge out into your path to try and obstruct you when you're overtaking.
7/ Drivers who'll close up to the car in front to try and prevent you getting back in when you're overtaking.
8/ Drivers and passengers who through rubbish, litter, etc. out of their windows.

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
Maybe we are all of a certain age.

Sometimes it's difficult to let these things go and move on with your day.
But that is the best way to deal with it, enjoy the good, release the bad.

Somedays that is harder than others.

Oh! I wear a key chain for a reason...disabled bay parking. Especially next to cash machines.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was surprised to see that Jeff B encounters similar shiftless twerps in the US to our home-groan(sic) variety here in the UK.
I have always found American drivers to be paragons of polite rectitude. My conclusion? This is the result of a constant nagging suspicion that just maybe the guy who righteously deserves 'the finger' could well have one of the late Samuel Colt's little items in his glove box!!

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I was surprised to see that Jeff B encounters similar shiftless twerps in the US to our home-groan(sic) variety here in the UK.
I have always found American drivers to be paragons of polite rectitude. My conclusion? This is the result of a constant nagging suspicion that just maybe the guy who righteously deserves 'the finger' could well have one of the late Samuel Colt's little items in his glove box!!

Jeff only glimpses them briefly, in passing.

Unless they need carding:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about parking

Happens all the time.

Go to Walmart, pull into a 250 acre parking lot, pull into a spot that hadn't been used since it was built 20 years ago.

The wife complaining the she had to walk a mile and a half to get to the store.

Come back out, and you have a 1999 ex-cop crown-vic parked so close you can't open the door.

Carter

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Yes that's a great one! Big mistake putting vanity mirrors on sun visors! For the record I'm not old or grumpy, just easily pissed off on the road!
I thought that only American women did stupid things like this?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Wow...these posts cover just about everything that is likely to get us seething behind the wheel...

Clive's reaction is to shout loudly at the offending driver..even though he/she cannot hear and I am the only one who cringes at his language. :wink:

Then my usual calm-down mantra is: "Phew.... let them go....they are accidents-waiting-to-happen and I'd rather they happened somewhere else".

But...What about Cup-Holders... did they get a mention as a possibly dangerous piece of kit?? >:D

Folk who drink while driving... now they really are dangerous....:surprise:
(and I still think that anyone who puts liquid over electrics is in need of therapy) :grin:

just saying :x

Stella

·
another lovely day!
309 Posts
Another thing I see a lot here in Spain is people looking for a parking spot next to the road with paralel parking spaces, when they find one they stop in front of it and then put on their hazardlights instead of parking into it!! Usually this is in the mainroad of a town and you are stuck behind that person with a continuous line in the middle of the road.... What do you do? A: start blowing your horn only to recieve a middle finger in return or b: do an illegal manouvre by overtaking that person over a continuous white line???

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I might as well join in !

1 Peole who park across your drive way at home !

2 people who park at your works entrance and blocking it car srill running with two toddlers in there ,drivers door wide open and owner no where to be seen .

Well up the road chatting to a neighbour . :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
Not too angry at them IF that's the traffic flow.

But when lanes 1 & 2 are empty and they are just making a point.....

Wish I had space for a sidewinder car/car set up.:tazz:

or...

:NX:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts