1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,039 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would not supprise me its the next big $$$ on the horizon now small drones are every where its the next step forward .
Maybe, but small drones are getting restrictions/legislation on them, but that could be a pre-cursor to actual flying people though I guess.

Still, looks like a bit of a lame bit of CGI, looks like a graphics demo from the Commodore Amiga in the early 80s :D

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,039 Posts
Maybe, but small drones are getting restrictions/legislation on them, but that could be a pre-cursor to actual flying people though I guess.

Still, looks like a bit of a lame bit of CGI, looks like a graphics demo from the Commodore Amiga in the early 80s :D
Commodore Amiga lol

More like the ZX spectrum and 16 usage for one key more like it . ;)

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,491 Posts
At this stage (and since they became popular), it's because of all the IDIOTS that fly them near airports and near flying airplanes.

Spoils the fun for all the rest of us (MAAC and AMA) and others who fly them responsibly.

·
Registered 2005 slk350
251 Posts
....Well.... after a thorough inspection of the video.. i have decided that with a couple of old vacuum cleaner motors.. a prop or two from the old fly mow...and a large hole saw.... we will have Chippy doing those kind of trips in no time.......

D.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
365 Posts
Not as if it's a new idea ! According to my book, "Aerocar's" have been flying since 1949 !!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,786 Posts
Put an Aston Martin badge on that yellow bug and be worth millions though . :grin:
Bit like that iq car was it £40,000 ?
You mean this? The Aston Martin Cygnet.
We test drove one when they were released at a joint Jag/AM day. Awful car but beutifully finished!
TonyS

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 slk350
251 Posts
We test drove one when they were released at a joint Jag/AM day. Awful car but beutifully finished!
TonyS
That looks like one of those diddy Little Ford whatsanames to me....
Dave >:D

Edit.... Its a Ford Fiesta... I found a pic.... there is a resemblance there somewhere... :nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
TonyS
Yup the Cygnet is just a Toyota IQ built for Aston with their craftsmens finishes. It was done to get around EU rulings about average fleet C02 emissions.

You build 4.7 liter 20mpg V8's at one end of the market .... and 50 mpg runabouts at the other. Pops gets the Aston and the wife gets a 'matching' shopping trolley.

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,077 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
Flying cars ........ never happen! ( well not in my grandkids lifetime )

You'll need an MOT AND an annual inspection and CofA. 100 hour inspections alone will kill the cost and there aren't enough facilities to keep even a small fleet airborne.

Someone opens a door on one and dings it at the local supermarket .... who fixes it? £120 / hour airframe fitter or Quickfit down the road. Who signs it off for flight again?

'Unlicenced' aircraft, not a hope in hell. The Authorities just wont put up with the opportunity to tax, legislate, control and mess with the whole sector.

Sorry the law is just nowhere near being able to cope with this kind of stuff.

I give you gliding in the UK. Nearly 100 years of self regulation ultimately by the British Gliding Association. A superb safety record, very, very few technical failures, very, very few medically induced accidents. ( About 1 death a year due to pilot errors ). In wafts EASA ( Europe ) regulation, paperwork, having to have qualified fitters do all but the most basic work on aircraft .......... net safety change ....... ZERO.

Sorry but as a design exercise it is beautiful but as a practical transport vehicle, Aston would be downright suicidal to commit more than £10 to the project.

Even Elon Musk is sticking to more sensible pursuits!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,786 Posts
Hey Nimbus
Of course you’re quite right. No chance in the foreseeable future.
Re gliders - I worked on them for two years. Generally I found their owners long on silly hats and short on maintenance money. I wouldn’t have flown in most of the sheds that came my way!
TonyS

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't see flying cars ever becoming a commonplace reality for one simple reason. The nut behind the 'wheel'. There is a good percentage of the driving populace that can't manage a vehicle given two dimensional freedom of movement, let alone a third >:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts