Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click on pic for bigger picture:

Where the red arrow is pointing just under the plastic engine cover, there seems to be oil seepage. The thin rubber seal seems have worn out.
No warnings or spills on the floor so seems to be very minimal.

So before I go bend over for MB on Monday, what am I expecting in terms of price and what kind of work is to be done?

Thanks guys!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It's a well known problem on the 55 engine - seepage from the cam/rocker cover - not life-threatening and quite an easy DIY fix. A little oil will spread a long way, and make it look worse than it is. If you do a search here, you'll find plenty of info on it.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
You may be able to get a better idea by lifting up the air filter box and determine the area of oil seepage. It is a Woolly stated, although not a DIY for me (mechanically-challenged).

Reactions: triple bogey

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Actually it is a smaller cover on top of the camshaft cover; it creates a labyrinth passage for the breather connection to let any oil drain back.
Remove the air filter housing, remove the breather covers (I’d do both; there is another one on the other side toward the back) clean off all the old sealer, apply new sealer, reinstall.
Tighten the screws in multiple steps to prevent warping.
Now I would let it sit overnight to allow the sealer to cure (not absolutely necessary)
Next: start the engine and check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Actually it is a smaller cover on top of the camshaft cover; it creates a labyrinth passage for the breather connection to let any oil drain back.
Remove the air filter housing, remove the breather covers (I’d do both; there is another one on the other side toward the back) clean off all the old sealer, apply new sealer, reinstall.
Tighten the screws in multiple steps to prevent warping.
Now I would let it sit overnight to allow the sealer to cure (not absolutely necessary)
Next: start the engine and check for leaks.
thank you! my other question now is- no specific gasket for this? can i use any type of sealer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.