Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Doubt it's weather related. Take a flashlight and rub your finger around the bottom of the plugs ... if there's a leak there should be some residual oil on your finger.
That's how I noticed the leak on my 2005 350.

Cheers
You don't say where the oil is leaking? My SLK55 AMG was leaking in several spots around the valve covers and I found that several of the valve cover bolts were loose - leaking stopped when I torqued the bolts down properly to 9 NM
Regards
Rick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Guys, I noticed an oily film on the LHS cat. so investigated. Saw that oil was dripping down from a leak from the large blanking cover. I checked all the others and no leaks were seen. I bought 1 large and 2 small covers for a total of £11.73. I removed the large one with a screwdriver blade after cleaning all round the area and checked inside the orifice with a mirror. Nothing untoward to be seen. Wiped everything clean and installed the cover pressing home firmly and evenly. I did not change out the small covers as no leaks could be seen.

Points to watch. On the cover there are sections that are slotted to make installation easier. I marked the old one before removal and orientated the new one the same way. When removing the old one of the slot segments broke off but did not go inside the engine. I noted that on one the side of the cover all the segments were brittle and broke off easily but the other side was fine. So the old cover needs to be removed with care. I did not lubricate the new cover. The old cover had a lot of oil trapped in it and that ran down the back of the engine so rags should be placed under the cover.

On examination I noted the brittle segments had been on the upper side of the cover as it had been installed. Also here the rubber sealing had deteriorated and maybe caused the leak. Oil pooling may have prevented the lower side from get as hot and becoming brittle. One might say that the leak would be from the bottom but this may not necessarily be so. I also noted the new cover had a different part number and appeared to have a slightly different profile.

So, not a difficult job or indeed expensive and I can see no reason for the cover to leak again anytime soon. A long run I hope will confirm this. I believe all these seals will fail eventually so will need replacing. MB used a cost effective method the close the orifices and my covers lasted at least 60000 miles so not complaining.:grin:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my SLK a week. I have noticed that after I drive up a very steep hill (such as my driveway), that when I park, I smell a slight smell of burning oil on something hot, like the exhaust system. I do not smell it any other time, and I've been paying attention after first noticing it. It is consistent that I smell it after driving up my driveway, every time.

If I immediately open the hood, I do not smell it in the engine compartment. Also, there is no sign of oil dripping on the garage floor.

My first thought is that it's the car telling me not to park him, that I need to be driving. I guess that's possible, but in case that's not the reason, I wonder if this plug TSB could be the problem?

I'll be getting in there and taking a look at these plugs ASAP.

Garret

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Scott, the oil drips on to the catayser and smokes. I bought 2 small caps and 1 large cap or cover. Only used the large one. Easy job and the parts are cheap. Just take care when removing the old items as they may be brittle and crumbly. if you take off the undertray you'll find oil in there too. If the cover or covers are leaking, well that's where that oil probably came from too. It's Monday, all the parts dept's will be open so get on it!:wink:

·
Registered 2011 SLK200 & 2004 SLK350
41 Posts
So i opened up my hood and noticed a white smoke coming from the passenger side. I looked closely and found out that some oil drips in the exhaust. Ive attached some photos of where i think the leaks is coming from but i could be wrong.
Could it be the valve cover? Or the small and large caps?

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
So i opened up my hood and noticed a white smoke coming from the passenger side. I looked closely and found out that some oil drips in the exhaust. Ive attached some photos of where i think the leaks is coming from but i could be wrong.
Most likely the caps. Easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
It's such an easy job, it's a crime to pay someone to do it. Just make sure you wipe the hole clean prior to installing new plugs. You can feel the bore for any residue prior to installing by sticking your index finger in it.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Hey I know you posted in November, but if you still have oil leaking, check your oil separator centerfigue. It's the round piece right above the area you circled. Mine was leaking slightly so I replaced. Very easy, I posted a DIY on it.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
I just found where these three caps are available bundled together under Dorman part number 917127. Dorman products are widely available so I checked RockAuto and found all three for $7.63 plus shipping. I have not used the Dorman plugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just replaced the camshaft expansion plugs. $10 worth of parts, 10 minutes of work and some cleanup of seepage below... No smells, smoke or mess now!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Been smelling oil and feared the worst. Investigated, identified plugs as culprits. Searched this forum and BICKETY-BAM my fears were put to rest. Now to order those puppies.....
I'm left to wonder what purpose these "expansion" plugs serve. The name implies that they might expand under increased pressure, perhaps to avoid damage elsewhere. I remember my uncle telling me "you can't have too much oil pressure" but that didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. Any comments?

Btw thanks to all who take the time to write about and elaborate on these issues. It has really helped relieve some of the anxiety out of owning this beast of a car. I'd like to buy you all a Coke to show my appreciation.

·
Registered
578 Posts
just replaced mine over the weekend

kinda surprised how much oil leak out from there... >_<;;

just to clear things up regarding 1 x Large cap and 2 x small caps

i spoke with dealer and sort this out.

Large cap are for R171 without vacuum pump. (applies to SLK 350 & 55 AMG)??

i believe SLK 280 just needs 2 x small caps. (mine only need 2 x small caps)

SLK 350 will need large cap + 2 x small caps.

best bet is give them your VIN # and ask them if you need all 3 caps or just need 2 x small caps.

hope this helps!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
just replaced mine over the weekend

kinda surprised how much oil leak out from there... >_<;;

just to clear things up regarding 1 x Large cap and 2 x small caps

i spoke with dealer and sort this out.

Large cap are for R171 without vacuum pump. (applies to SLK 350 & 55 AMG)??

i believe SLK 280 just needs 2 x small caps. (mine only need 2 x small caps)

SLK 350 will need large cap + 2 x small caps.

best bet is give them your VIN # and ask them if you need all 3 caps or just need 2 x small caps.

hope this helps!
I see in the parts manual that the 280 does not use the larger plug. Does that mean you have a vacuum pump on your car/engine? What is the vacuum pump for?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
I thought I would update this thread as the MB part number for the smaller plug (need 2) has been superseded to 000 998 65 90.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I see in the parts manual that the 280 does not use the larger plug. Does that mean you have a vacuum pump on your car/engine? What is the vacuum pump for?
i believe vacuum pump is used to either augment or provide the vacuum power necessary to operate the various other systems on the car, including the brakes, some HVAC functions and more

i am not a mechanic so i can't provide much more detail than that... 0:)

thank you for the part # @mchild

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
i believe vacuum pump is used to either augment or provide the vacuum power necessary to operate the various other systems on the car, including the brakes, some HVAC functions and more
Interesting, as the 350 is essentially the same engine except for a small displacement difference and the 350 does not have a vacuum pump mounted at the rear of the engine. Most systems on the R171 SLK are not run off vacuum. Components like the HVAC are all electric.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
97 Posts
Thanks for this information everyone. I've had my SLK just long enough to put gas in it, but now that spring is close I can try to address some issues I've noticed. This may be one of them. Thanks again for the information!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Does anyone have a definite part no for these plugs, or will it be vin decided, i have a 2005 350, and not sure which ones to get

21 - 40 of 44 Posts