Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AND MABEL
13,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
200 miles after having a service at the stealership, Mabel tells me to add a litre of oil at the next fuel up. I do. I set off for my Euro trip. 200 miles later, car asks for another litre of oil. I add it. 200 miles later asks for another litre of oil. I don't add it. 100 miles later I fuel up and it asks for a litre and a half. I can see a pattern appearing … half a litre every 100 miles! :surprise: I add the oil. I'm now at the point of cancelling the trip and returning home. Having checked under the bonnet and car to find no signs of any leaks, and, as there isn't any smoke from the exhaust, I'm at a loss to explain the problem. I make the decision to go for it, and head off to France and beyond. After a couple of days of gentle-ish motoring she hasn't needed anymore oil so I let her horses loose on the passes. Returning to the UK, after a further 2200 miles she asks me for another litre of oil. I don't add it, and have done another 300 miles without a request for oil.

She doesn't normally take anymore than a litre over 10,0000 miles, so three and half litres in 750 miles is crazy. Could it be that she wasn't filled correctly at the oil change? @Col had his code reader plugged in and she wasn't showing anything untoward codewise.

Anyone any ideas as to what's going on?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I did a recent post 'electronic dipstick hysterises'. It may help. As someone said, 55's don't burn oil and mine is no exception . If you we're burning that much oil I'm sure it would be noticeable.. fouled plugs/smoking exhaust etc.

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts

·
Long Time Member
3,668 Posts
Take the bills for the oil to the dealers and ask wtf did I pay for !! If they had it at the correct level and then you put 4.5ltrs in I guess you would of damaged the motor as the oil would of been way over , the fact you didn't and did the trip more than points to a under fill at the dealers.

As you guys with amg motors are stripped from even the basics of a oil dip stick :grin:>:D in place of a who built my engine badge , you could jack the car up and drain and measure what oil is in it Davie.

Then put the correct amount back in as per mercedes recommendation , run it for a month and recheck for piece of mind ?

·
AND MABEL
13,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
AND MABEL
13,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just back from my indie garage. They support the idea that Mercedes probably only added 5 litres when they did the service. Will be having words with them next time I'm in there. :frown:

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,464 Posts
5! it needs 9 if i remember correctly amg wise

·
AND MABEL
13,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And maybe also check to see how many spark plugs they charged you for last time they were changed:wink:

EDIT

How many litres did they charge you for Davie? It should be on the printed invoice.
I have a service plan and didn't get an invoice, I only received a check sheet saying the oil had been changed in accordance with Mercedes service schedule blah blah blah. I will enquire as to how much was charged for when I'm in there next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts