Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the very first spark plug on my 2001 SLK 320 and it has oil all over it. I can see down into the area where the plug goes. The area before the area that the threads screw into is coated in oil. I do not see any oil in the threat area, but that does not mean it is not there.

How do I clean the oil out of that area?

Also, is there a special "trick" to get the wires off of the coil side? The boot puller tool made it really easy to get the boots off the plugs, now need to know how to get the wires off the coil side without damaging the coils.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Pulled the very first spark plug on my 2001 SLK 320 and it has oil all over it. I can see down into the area where the plug goes. The area before the area that the threads screw into is coated in oil. I do not see any oil in the threat area, but that does not mean it is not there.

How do I clean the oil out of that area?

Also, is there a special "trick" to get the wires off of the coil side? The boot puller tool made it really easy to get the boots off the plugs, now need to know how to get the wires off the coil side without damaging the coils.

Thanks
Perhaps this thread will be of more help?! =)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1624436-98-benz-slk-230-engine-gasket.html

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
Other than the oil did the plug look ok. In any case I would pull another and compare and that will help discover whether you have one cylinder problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the process of doing what the dealership calls a "major" tune up to the tune of $1000. They said the valve cover gasket needed replacing, spark plugs changed and the wires replaced.

It is actually the breather cover not the value cover that is leaking. The gasket in the oil tube (where you put the oil) is bad. If I can figure that out by tracing the oil leak paths, they should have been able to do the same as well. I will say that the bolts on the valve cover were so loose, I could tighten them by hand, so they did need some attention. I will need some help identifying the 2 hoses on the left breather cover and the 1 hose on the right since they will need to be replaced. when I tried to remove them, they started to crack, so that repair will have to wait until the new hoses arrive.

JaysonM, thanks for the link, that is for a230, not a 320. Different engine. However, I do appreciate the the attempt to help:tu:

Gdb069- I anticipate that more than one of the plugs I pull will be covered in oil based on the amount leaking all over the engine. The plugs were changed at 60 by the dealer for an issue I was having, but the wires are original and the car has 130k. I am getting codes P2052 and P 2054 and the dealer noted that there was misfires on cylinders 4, 5, and 6. So replacing all plugs and wires. The plug looked off color, almost like a light orange but not rusty if that make sense. Again the top of the plug, covered in oil. Bottom part seemed dry.

Any help on. Cleaning oil out of the chamber that the oil came from?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.