Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Buick dealer that sold me my AMG did an oil change. When I check the oil at operating temp the indicator displays Remove Oil. When the engine is cold the indicator reads Oil Level OK.

Should I remove some oil or is it ok to forego that until the next oil change?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I had the same warnings on the MFD before. Make sure you are measuring the engine oil on a level surface first. If you are using the service menu, it will tell you the engine oil level in quarts. The difference in the volume between cold engine and operating temp is about 300ml (0.3 quarts roughly). I usually keep mine at 8.0 when the engine is cold.

What I did in the past was remove via hand pump through the dipstick tube about 300-500ml, and checked the levels again over the enxt several days, both with cold engine and with warm engine.

·
19,407 Posts
How do you check the level via the service menu?
Do a search on how to enter the service menu.

Basically, place key in ignition, with MFD at the odometer window, turn to no. 1 position, hit the R button (located at the side of the instrument panel roundel) 3 times in quick succession, the service menu shows up in the MFD to show battery voltage, push the up (or down, I forgot) arrow button until it shows check engine oil level, then turn key to position 2 (without starting the car), MFD will show oil lelvel.

·
19,407 Posts

·
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesn't seem to work in my '09. I can see in how many miles my next service is due but not the number of quarts of oil.

·
19,407 Posts
That doesn't seem to work in my '09. I can see in how many miles my next service is due but not the number of quarts of oil.
Did you press the R button 3 times in quick succesion before the SRS light goes off (key in position 1)?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for your patience with me. I'm used to a regular old dipstick.

The menus are a pain to navigate.

·
19,407 Posts
Ok that worked! Showing 9 quarts.
I would reduce this using a inexpensive hand pump, so the level shows maybe 8.3 on a cold engine and then check the level in the next few days. Try checking the non-service menu way and see it it still says Reduce Oil after removing about 600-700 ml.

Thank you very much for your patience with me. I'm used to a regular old dipstick.

The menus are a pain to navigate.
Me too, but it is not supplied on the SLK55 and the graduated dipstick used by MB shop is expensive and difficult to insert fully, and one needs to reference the level measured against a chart to see if the level is too much or too little.

You will get used to using the buttons and menu once you have the procedure sequence committed to memory.

Reactions: StFarmer

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
If they got the amount of oil wrong I wonder what type of oil did they use. Was it Mobil1 or regular oil. If regular oil I would change it again very soon. Not being a MB dealer I bet they did used regular oil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will get the oil changed. You would think the dealership would have checked the manual (which was in the glovebox).

·
19,407 Posts
I think I will get the oil changed. You would think the dealership would have checked the manual (which was in the glovebox).
The Service Advisor at the MB service I go to allows me to buy Mobil1 0W40 separately (I usually get mine at Amazon by the case, 6 quarts/case) as they use Mobil 1 5W40 Formula M. I place usually 9 quarts in the trunk and may get 1 quart back or none. They charge for labor and the oil filter.

The 0W40 has been shown to have better detergent and lubricant properties compared to the 5W40 Formula M. Both conform to MB spec 229.5.

·
Banned
87 Posts
All Oil Levels aren't the Same!

From the owner's manual, it is interesting to note that the 300/350/55 all display a low oil level in the MFD, but it is only for the 55 a high oil level is displayed. What this says is a high oil level is critical in the 55.

MB stuffed the V8 into the SLK which is evidenced by the two oil drain plugs. The front crossmember bumps into the stock pan necessitating a modification to fit over it. To get what Mercedes considers a sufficient amount of oil in the engine, the level of the oil is quite near the crank.

I can't say I think that is good engineering, and it would be interesting to see if a similar situation exists in the R172. I'd bet it has only one drain plug and the oil can be sucked out the dipstick (which can't be done in the 55).

Incidentally, unlike the R171 55, the R172 55 get phenomenal gas mileage, and it is 415 HP!:tu:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

So I got an oil change at the MB dealership today. I picked the car up after work and checked the oil level. The MFD read "Remove Oil". The service menu reads 9.0 quarts.

The service tech insists that he filled it with 8.5 quarts. I'm leaving it at the shop tomorrow for more diagnostics. Maybe a software update. The oil level reads OK when the engine is cold.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
Still can't get my head around the looks - which is a shame - and the transmission - which is a sin! :(
I had the same reaction to the R172 front end. However, one of our club members just got a 2012 SLK 350 and I must admit it looks better in person than it does in pictures. I still think the vertical front makes the car look like it has too much “over hang”, but IMO it doesn’t look a bad in person.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Resolution

The dealership spoke to MB about my remove oil indicator. MB recommended not checking the oil level in an engine at operating temperature until waiting an hour. They said I shouldn't worry about the remove oil indication unless the idiot light comes on.

Hmmmmm. Not really satisfied by that non-fix fix.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
To answer your question, I'm surprised the GM dealer changed the oil..they'd have no expertise, they wouldn't have the filter on hand and I very much doubt would be bothered to look for the manual let alone read it. The SLK would be a rare bird on a GM lot. I would suspect they didn't change the filter and dumped 10W30 or maybe 5W30 (based on the cowl sticker) down the poor thing's throat. Good for you for changing it out.

PS my Dad sold cars his whole life, VW mostly but all of the big Three as well. He recounted some worrying stories about what dealers would do to move cars "along". To his credit he'd hand out oil change coupons or give the new owners a head's up...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.