Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while driving I got the "fill up 1l oil at next refueling" message (odd as I did so only 2 months ago), but then this morning I do a check and it says "oil level ok". What should I do? Put a liter in? Could it be a false reading?

Hmmmmmm....

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Might be worth buying a proper old fashioned dipstick. The part number is MB tool # 120 589 07 21 00 Dipstick; Graduated.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,418 Posts
Yesterday while driving I got the "fill up 1l oil at next refueling" message (odd as I did so only 2 months ago), but then this morning I do a check and it says "oil level ok". What should I do? Put a liter in? Could it be a false reading?

Hmmmmmm....
Use the service menu (from the MFD) and see how many quarts/liters of engine oil is reported (car on level surface).

·
19,418 Posts
Shall do.

How many liters SHOULD there be?
Should be above 7.0 liters/quarts IIRC. I keep mine between 7.5 to 8.0. Allow 0.3 or 300ml variance/change (oil expands when hot) when at operating temperature. Around 8.3 to 8.5, the MFD may state Reduce Oil Level (overfill situation).

IIRC, owner's manual state capacity is 8.0 liters/8.5 US quarts (includes oil I think in the oil filter).

·
19,418 Posts
Just checked-I have 6.1 l.

Guess I need to top up!

1.5l maybe?
Try one liter. Drive around for the next 2 days and recheck on level ground. You can always add later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
amg oil level

Sorry to bring up this old thread but i am using the search and not starting a new one :)

Ive checked my oil with a warm engine and it showed 7.1 litres but it also says oil level is ok.
This morning on a cold engine its reading 7.0 litres
Is this ok?

In simple terms
When filled correctly what should the diag trick show? and would this be hot or cold??

regards

Norman

·
Registered
51 Posts
Put .5 liter in and save the rest of the bottle.

You are at the low end of normal. If it drops into the 6's if should start to give the warning...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have had this issue with my 2009 slk55. It asks to top up oil when next refuelling. I will top it up and within 2 months the message will appear again. There are no signs of any leaks. Would the car need to be topped up this often? or could it be from the way i drive the vehicle?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too have had this issue with my 2009 slk55. It asks to top up oil when next refuelling. I will top it up and within 2 months the message will appear again. There are no signs of any leaks. Would the car need to be topped up this often? or could it be from the way i drive the vehicle?
Check your valve covers. These have been known to very slowly 'weep' oil, and it can be hard to notice without very close inspection. Mine are weeping as well, so I ordered a new gasket kit and some MB sealant. Once it's done correctly, shouldn't have a problem again.

Reactions: welfstreet
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.