Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!

My name is Gary. This is my first post. I am considering to buy a 2007 SLK350 in Nashville. A pre-purchase inspection at an independent service shop revealed a slight oil leak, and I was told the cyclone valve and cam plugs should be replaced.

I already did some reading here and, as I understand, the cam plugs are the 3 plastic plugs (aka "expansion plugs") on the backside of the head. However, I haven't been able to find information on the "cyclone valve". As I understand, it's some type of breather valve on the backside of the head. Does anybody know its exact name or part number? Is it as easy to replace as the "snap in" plastic cam plugs?

Thank you!
Gary

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
post your vin
get free datacard
post a intro thread

no cyclone or breather valve found in epc

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jeff!

I've updated my profile and posted an introduction in the New Member area.

"Cyclone valve" must not be the common term. The service guy said it's also called a "crankcase breather valve" and said it's the thing the cam spins inside of. He said it's on the backside of the head near the firewall (I suspect in the same basic area as the cam plugs he says also need replaced).

Thanks!
Gary

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I think I found it. I believe it's called the "crankcase vent valve". Supposedly it's also a common source of oil leaks in Mercedes engines (in addition to expansion (cam) plugs).

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
Dave or I will check but do you have a vin for us?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
From a 350, but not necessarily for your car without your specific VIN, but do you see it here (perhaps part 195?)...

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Using your VIN, here's a diagram of the engine breathing parts.

Looks like the separator isn't included in the kit you've linked to... check part 270 (MB p/n A 272 016 01 34) in the attached diagram & list...

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but is the "oil separator" the same part as the "crankcase vent valve" that is contained in this kit ==> https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...Fdg6gQodN_UFoA
Actually that is just the cover for the oil seperator. If you look at my DIY thread it shows the kit I bought. It came with the drip pan and new hose,as well as the centerfigue. I believe the kit was about $130 usd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.