Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 320 with 50k on it.

From the MoT I've been told there is a film of automatic transmission fluid on the bottom of the gearbox. They could not source it. I've had a look and it seems fairly uniform. Are there any probable sources I could check? It's a fine film and there's no drips on the garage floor (hence not realising the problem).

When I bought the car it had just been 'thoroughly' serviced by the dealer but after a couple of weeks I noted that there was oil coming from the power steering reservoir. It had been overfilled. (Very thorough!). Could this be the source of the leak?

I was going to get the autobox fluid changed at 60k so it's no big deal to do it now.

As an aside, I keep getting told off for not posting whenever I log on.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Well done for Posting.

Havent had this issue myself, hope it works out for you man.

Good luck,

RLander.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,126 Posts
Have the transmission serviced and be sure they replace the pan gasket. This is not so much a paper gasket as a rubber seal, not tightened too tight.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd bet that it's the pilot bushing that is leaking. It's really a common issue on these trannys. Good news is it's inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. Google it when you get a moment and you'll see tons of 'how to' vids.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd bet that it's the pilot bushing that is leaking. It's really a common issue on these trannys. Good news is it's inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. Google it when you get a moment and you'll see tons of 'how to' vids.
Thanks for that. I'll go under and have a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.