Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just look under my car and see this leak, I have no idea where is coming from. Just see wet under this area and wire. I clean off some and then remember to snap a picture. Please take a look and help.

I talk to one of the mechanic and he said it common, no serious issue. But I would like to find out where to fix it.

Attachments

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
check your cam/rocker cover seals - common/not serious/easy diy/cheap dealer fix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply,
I checked but can't find it. Will check again when have time. I see oil level is decreasing.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi AMG

Had my sortted earily this year

@ Rocketman i think i got your number plate

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Still not, I just clean that area last week when I did oil change. But still looking for exact location and solution.
Many recommend left it alone.
@zerozero.... do you have any pictures of the location or how did you sorted out?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,
Still not, I just clean that area last week when I did oil change. But still looking for exact location and solution.
@zerozero.... do you have any pictures of the location or how did you sorted out?

Just pop out both of the black plastic cover, stick your finger inside the tranny hole and see if you can see the oil residue. If there is, then it your rear main seal leak. That's about $1000-$1200 job !!! They have to drop the whole tranny to replace the engine rear main seal. it a $30 part but alot of work must do to get to the part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bell housing is bone dry behind the covers; that was my first thought too. It appears to come from the left hand side of the engine and accumulates at the bottom of the bell housing.

The source is somewhere around the starter motor.

Anybody any further experience??

·
1,728 Posts
Hi AMG
It was picked up on a service & they give me a fixed quote ( Rocker seal) , Never did see the leak or any oil on the floor so it must have only just started leaking , i did get the message come up on dash screen " add one litre of oil next time you fuel " & that was about 4 days before the service ,so good timing .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have not found the exact location either. One thing is for sure; it is not the rocker cover seals as the areas around these are totally dry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
Too busy lately, so haven't try to fix anything. I believe my car is seepage not leak and it doesn't loose that much oil(very tiny amount). One thing for sure it wasn't there before I have tran. oil change. When I clean it, I push the black plastic, I see oil coming out of it but I didn't take the plastic off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Still leaking

Update:

It was detected that oil accumulates on top of the engine block underneat the manifold. In fact it was quite a bit of oil.

The manifold has now been removed but there is still no obvious leak visible (head gasket and cam cover gasket are OK)

I am lost.

·
1,728 Posts
Hi Rocketman

Its not from filling the oil up ???

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Andy

I thought of that but the only top-up I did was after the leak was detected; the level was down a bit so I had to assume it came out of the engine.

Filling before that was done by Official Merc dealer at last Service 6000 MLS ago.

TBC

·
Registered
19 Posts
All

It's fixed.
The cause was a £1 seal between de inlet manifold and the engine block/head. Part of the crankcase ventilation system is somehow connected to the manifold, probably to cool down the oil vapours before they enter the manifold and combustion chambers.
I was charged for 4 hours labour which included collect and drop-off of the car which was not too bad.

·
1,728 Posts
Hi Rocketman

Glad you got it sortted , I hate anything like this it just plays on your mind & stops you enjoying the ride , your always looks for the next thing to go wrong .

Enjoy

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.