Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the dreaded smell of burning oil this morning after cranking up the slk. Upon inspection, the oil seems to be seeping from a black round plastic cap that is to the left of the oil dip stick. The fact that it is dripping down to the catalytic converter scares me as it could be a fire hazard. Can someone please confirm that the part I'm looking at is the cam expansion plug? This is on the passenger side, 06 slk280.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
If you are talking about the flat, black disk on the back of the head, then yes, that is probably where the leak is happening. Is there oil on the rear of the head? It's an inexpensive diy fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes the flat disc is where I suspect the leak to be coming from. There is oil on the back of the head, some has even managed to drip onto the cat. Is is really just a matter of prying the old one off and popping the new part in? Is there another thread with a DIY instruction for this? Any idea of how much the part will cost?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Found oil on the garage floor, smelled oil burning when running up through the gears, saw smoke coming up through the hood vents after the car has sat for a while and took a shirt run to the store.

Finally had a look, found what you've described here. Thanks to this old thread, I'll fix it myself.

https://youtu.be/OfyuBqqJ60c

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, that was a 1 minute replacement of the large plug. The SLK appears to be an easier replacement than what I saw on YouTube examples.

What confuses me is, this plug doesnt have a rubber seal that fails, it's just plastic. I don't understand how replacing it with another plastic plug is a remedy.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts