Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 R170 is going very nicely, but the other day I spotted a small amount of oil, though the engine oil level appears to be stable.

So, I noticed oil in the plastic tray under the engine. I removed the tray, cleaned it, replaced and when for a short drive. On return I've got this lovely line of oil across the plastic tray, right under the crankshaft, like this:

would I be right that it's the crankshaft oil seal, in all probability - it would appear to be spraying the oil as it spins, though it's hard to actually see where it's coming from exactly?

if so, is that the sort of thing that's easily done (without a pit or lift) - or should I consign the job to an expert!?

any thoughts would be appreciated

Paul

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,154 Posts
I had to replace mine last year, at first I thought the leak was from the oil filter but after running the car and looking for the leak I discovered it was the crank seal. The whole job took less then an hour, the hardest part was removing the crank pulley.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right... so is it quite easy to remove all the belts that stand in the way of me and that pulley?

did you do the job from above or below!?

TIA

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To lay this one to rest...

I wimped out and took the job to be done at a local garage... I was correct it was the crankshaft oil seal, they replaced it, and fitted new belts for a grand total of £157 ($250) - not bad I thought. They initially though the rad would have to come out, but managed it without that in the end. Hopefully all's well that ends well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.