Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no shop manual so need to ID the 2 bolt casting in the center of my pic. It leaks engine oil. '01 SLK230. I assume it is the oil temp sending unit as it has a black wire
D7199EE0-17B6-4CF0-8716-E37C0525719B.jpeg
coming from it.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,624 Posts
I've never seen one like that, normally the Oil Level / Quality / Temperature Optical Sensor is on the right Front side of the Car, above the smaller Sump Pan, that looks like it is below the Engine Mount Bracket on Left Side ......................

Territorial thing perhaps :confused: ?????????????

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen one like that, normally the Oil Level / Quality / Temperature Optical Sensor is on the right Front side of the Car, above the smaller Sump Pan, that looks like it is below the Engine Mount Bracket on Left Side ......................

Territorial thing perhaps :confused: ?????????????
Dave: The car sold new in Canada and it has KPH speedo, etc. I am near Orlando, and the oil level sending unit is on the driver's side (left) of the vehicle. I just discovered that I can swivel the black plastic part that the rubber cover (with black wire) sits on. I haven't popped that rubber connection cover off yet, but oil is coming from around that hard black part as I can wipe it clean and shortly, oil is again puddled in the lower part of the alum. casting. Do you know if that hard black plastic piece should swivel? I have a printed blowup of the assy. coming with some parts from Mercedes dlr. in about 5 days. Don't have any shop manual. Maybe there is an O-ring or some seal in there. The car is on my lift.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,624 Posts
Do you know if that hard black plastic piece should swivel?
DOH !! Sorry, I've just noticed you have 4 cylinder SLK 230, I've got V6 and V8's in my head right now, ignore me, "Brain Fart" ;)

I do agree with what you are saying, if I were you I'd just take it out and have a good look see, will likely need replacing ;)

HTH,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts