Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, could someone please post me the correct size for my 2003slk oil filter wrench. I would like to start changing the oil myself. I have seen this posted before but cannot seem to find it. Thanks for the help! It sure was a great summer here in Indiana to drive with the top down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My research leads me to the following:

Mercedes benz part number W 103 589 02 09 00. Just bought one on Ebay from Merc dealer.

74mm diameter 14 flutes

That is apparently for the 2005 slk350 so will find out this weekend! Also have bought a Pela 14Litre oil pump, so I mean business!! :tu:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil wrench size

Many thanks for the information! I had tried some wrenches at an Autozone that had 15 flutes. I will have to order one. I just received my Mityvac 7.3L fluid pump this morning from tooltopia.com. I ordered the thing off amazon yesterday with scheduled delivery for next week. That's great service, paid $68.94 total. Yippie! now I'm in the oil changing business.:burnout:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
+1 on what Der Flieger says. Granted all of my experience is on the R171. Make sure that you put some new oil on all three of the O rings. Then I just twist it on by hand until the plastic lip seats on the metal housing. Take pictures as you go in case you can't remember. One key thing I always forget is how far the filter goes into the plastic top. I have attached a picture of mine ready to re-assemble.

If you won't tell anybody I use this wrench to take it off.

The little scratches don't seem to hurt anything. :)

There's a great DIY thread on a 320 in the R170 forum. http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/16692-diy-oilchange-pics.html

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil wrench

Thanks, it looks like my only option is from the top with a cap wrench. No room to get at it, I will order one and pray it fits.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought one off the Matco truck last year, than you just hand tighten, that's all your suppose to do on the other cars too. Such a goofy spot where they put it......Just have it drip all of your engine... than you have to stick something at the bottom to suck the old oil out! Maybe they wanted you to be able to do it without lifting the car up...but I think lifting the car up is the best way because than you can really examine the suspension and everything moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.