Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a service B done in March, but I have taken the car on a nice trip to up state NY and back and now have 8000 miles on this oil. I am still going on 1 more trip this year and need an oil change and a service A done. I will not be near a dealer for a few months, so I plan to do an oil change and keep driving until Sept when I am at the dealers to have a service A done.

Can anyone tell me the correct part number for a 2012 SLK350, the filter has the prongs coming out of one end, but it seems there are a few different numbers when I try to order a filter.

I was also going to order a pump to pump the oil out and the only thing I could find was this http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/38857-oil-change-via-pump.html, but he doesn't say if he had to get a different tube to fit, does anyone know what size tube? I PM him to ask and will see what he says.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,555 Posts
Here is some generic advice from an R171 owner.

If you have a dealer close by go to the Parts counter and buy your first oil filter. They aren't that expensive, and you will have a reference point to compare your eBay etc. purchases with later on. While you're there see if they have any oil available. They matched a Walmart price once when I asked them to. You should also ask them if they use vacuum to change the oil in your engine. I know that they do it with the M272 in my car, but I've never investigated the R172 engines. It's very likely, as I have been led to believe that vacuum oil changes are SOP for M-B service departments.

I change my oil with a vacuum unit that sucks it out of the dipstick tube. I use the MityVac 7201. It will hold the 8.5 quarts in my engine. They are available from Amazon and plenty of other places.

Best Wishes

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks closes dealer is a 6 hour round trip, but if I have to, I will.

Does the tubing that came with the vac work or did you get extra tubing?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,555 Posts

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
a2761800009 is the filter using your vin number

Attachments

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the oil filter and MityVac pump has been order.

I just wasn't sure if it was the A278 or the A276 part number for the filter

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The A278 is the V8. The number relates to the engine. The V6 is the M276. The V8 M278.
You can trust Mann to have the right numbers. They are typically the MB supplier.
The Mann number is W0133-1632767 and can be ordered with all the O rings included from Autoparts Warehouse for $13.95 Here is the link: Mann-Filter W0133-1632767 Oil Filter | Auto Parts Warehouse
that link leads to a filter that looks nothing like the one in the car

this looks like the correct one http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Nr=AND(part:Oil+Filter)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
944 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
944 Posts
Oil change

Here is some generic advice from an R171 owner.

If you have a dealer close by go to the Parts counter and buy your first oil filter. They aren't that expensive, and you will have a reference point to compare your eBay etc. purchases with later on. While you're there see if they have any oil available. They matched a Walmart price once when I asked them to. You should also ask them if they use vacuum to change the oil in your engine. I know that they do it with the M272 in my car, but I've never investigated the R172 engines. It's very likely, as I have been led to believe that vacuum oil changes are SOP for M-B service departments.

I change my oil with a vacuum unit that sucks it out of the dipstick tube. I use the MityVac 7201. It will hold the 8.5 quarts in my engine. They are available from Amazon and plenty of other places.

Best Wishes
Do you have concerns about getting all the old oil out? As to your comments that dealers vacuum out the oil as SOP, I respectfully disagree. I watch my dealer service tech and they drain the pan and leave it open until it does it Maxwell House routine (good to the last drop). This has been my experience on all of my cars over the years which include both inline 3L sixes, and all the V6 engines to the M272.
I must admit that I haven't had the R172 done yet but my tech was doing a car I am sure had the M276 engine last week and the drain plug was out.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
944 Posts

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
part 30 is the cover m276 part 20 is filter

Attachments

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't comment on that. I have never had an issue with Mann and I have stood and watched my dealer tech take them on of the box.
There are also Mahle and Bosch filters available.
I suggest if in doubt call them and express your concerns.
Jeff's number I have confirmed from other sources. I couldn't get your link to show me. This is the Mahle filter which I found on their site and on another for the M276 engine.

MAHLE Product Catalog

OES Genuine W0133-1916327 Oil Filter | Auto Parts Warehouse

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
173 Posts
oil filter no.

Jeff is right, as usual, I just returned from the MB dealer and purchased a filter for my 2012 SLK for $22. The part number is A276-180-00-09. On the way home stopped by the local Autozone store and picked up an oil filter wrench 76 mm 14 flutes for about 5 bucks. These items, plus air filter if needed, and the oil I got from wally world, 0w-40 mobil full synthetic for about $30 is the bulk of the material you will need for a $600 "B" service. The majority of the items on the list is either inspect or check and if they find anything is is extra. What are your thoughts on DIY versus dealer?

·
751 Posts
I have done all of my services on my r171 with no issues.
I am now about to do my first service on my r172, I expect them to be very similar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.